Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Disc brake debates are going to be the new helmet debates.

Yes, and in many ways, the reaction of the pros to the introduction of disc brakes is in many ways similar to their reaction to the introduction of mandatory helmet rules.

Unfortunately, the UCI doesn't have a great track record for listening to the opinions of the riders.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
the views expressed might be seen as reasonably representative.

Yes, representative of the riders' preferences, not representative of an informed expert opinion on the safety of disc brakes. The Times piece is still nonsense even if the views quoted are sincerely held.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Velonews reporting that the French have banned disc brakes from all sanctioned events, including sportives.

No link as on my phone and no idea how to copy a link.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Even Sportives!
On a local group ride, there was one rider with disc brakes which I was leery of as I didn't want a severed leg or arm or my throat slit.

Asked him why he used disc brakes. He said that he had overcooked his carbon wheels going downhill so he switched to disc brakes. Makes sense.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I rode a bike with disc brakes on last Sunday's club ride* and somehow managed to avoid slicing any of my clubmates' limbs off. Lucky escape!

*I wasn't planning to but when I got my intended bike out of the garage, it had a flat tyre and I was already running late so just grabbed the other bike instead.

Still no proof Ventosos injury was disc related, wonder how far this can be stretched out
Face it; your bike is now obsolete.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Still no proof Ventosos injury was disc related, wonder how far this can be stretched out
He even lied about the ettix riders injuries in his statement.

Photo evidence on those injuries showed clearly no disc bike involved and knee sliced on damaged cobles.

Even lampre and direcr energie have raised the reliability of his statement

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is kind of interesting. I was doing a bit of searching around to see what exactly the FFC had said and I found this:

http://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?p...es-sur-les-cyclosportives-et-competitions-ffc
Ce communiqué précise que les organisateurs ne seront pas couverts par leur assurance fédérale dans le cas où un accident impliquerait un vélo avec freins à disques.

The key bit is that the organisers would not be covered by their "assurance fédérale" in the case of an accident involving a bike with disc brakes.

I'm not entirely sure what "assurance fédérale" is, I'm assuming it's some sort of insurance. So it seems that this may be an insurance issue. That is, the FFC are doing this to avoid possible legal action in future from someone who claims injury from a disc brake.

Top Bottom