Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
i added the same link a little bit further up thread
Thread merge

Who knows whether that accident caused that wound as described by that rider. I don't. But I can foresee that a disc can cause injuries. What troubles me is the misunderstanding that discs can stop quicker and therefore cause pile-ups. In the pile-up in question you can see that the riders have meters to stop or crash and nothing can stop you in meters. Such a stop would pull your eyeballs from their sockets, required G-forces probably in the region of 35 or 40. Bikes overturn at 0.6Gs. Reaction time alone is slower than the distance allows, nevermind braking after seeing the pile-up.

Here is the Times piece from last Thursday. Seems fair and balanced to me.
cycling

Horror injury forces UCI to ban disc brakes
Josh Burrows
April 14 2016, 5:00pm, The Times

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F08f3b3a0-0243-11e6-a64c-f676989151e2.jpg

Riders have said that disc brakes are effectively blades being carried in the professional pelotonKENZO TRIBOUILLARD/Getty Images
SharefacebooktwittergooglePlus
Save
A gory injury suffered by a rider during Paris-Roubaix last Sunday has forced the UCI to halt its trial of disc brakes in the professional peloton.

Fran Ventoso, the Movistar rider, was taken to hospital during the race with a deep gash to his leg that he claims was caused by crashing into a bike equipped with disc brakes - technology which use a separate metal rotor to provide a braking surface, rather than using the rim of the wheel itself.

Although there have been doubts about whether Ventoso’s wound was caused specifically by a disc brake, in an open letter to the UCI, he wrote: “Was there really anyone who thought things like Sunday’s wouldn’t happen? Really nobody thought they [disc brakes] were dangerous? Nobody realised they can cut, they can become giant knives?”

He added: “I’ve been lucky: I didn’t get my leg chopped off, it’s just some muscle and skin. But can you imagine that disk cutting a jugular or a femoral artery? I would prefer not to.”

Ventoso was supported by riders from other teams who complained that the UCI had sanctioned disc brakes while ignoring concerns about using technology developed for mountain-biking to a road-racing environment, where cyclists ride in close proximity. Equipment manufacturers are keen to use the professional peloton to advertise the technology, which requires consumers to buy an entire new frame.

Luke Rowe, the British rider on Team Sky, tweeted today [Thursday]: “Disc brakes - no need for them. Your wheels (tyres) will slide out before your brakes fail you anyway! Keep them away from the peloton!”

Adam Blythe, who rides for Tinkoff, added: “The one thing disk brakes are doing in the peloton is making it more dangerous. We don’t need them!”

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Their views would make sense if there was a proven incident of disc brake faulted carnage in the pro peloton, or in fact any peloton.

Luke Rowe appears to have forgot that a moto rear ended his team mate, a disc braked moto :laugh:

So, it is the views of the professionals quoted that you are describing as "feces".

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Most of the article is quoting professional riders. It is presumably a fair reflection of their views.

The article is sensationalist nonsense. They've quoted a grand total of three riders. Ventoso's claim that he could have lost a leg is hysterical exaggeration. Adam Blythe's comments are unsubstantiated. Luke Rowe makes a very reasonable point about whether or not disc brakes are necessary but he doesn't suggest that disc brakes were responsible for Ventoso's injuries so his words don't support the headline.

Did the reporter ask anyone from the UCI for a quote? Where's the balance? Shoddy journalism.

The UCI have not been "forced" to "ban" anything; they made the sensible decision (of their own volition) to suspend the trial of disc brakes pending the investigation into Ventoso's crash.

If you want to argue that disc brakes aren't welcome in pro road racing, you can - as per Luke Rowe - make the case without resorting to unfounded claims about supposed dangers.

I still await the pro rider quoted saying something like "I can't wait to get disc brakes on my race bike. The performance advantage will speed me to the front of the pack I am sure." Until something like that comes along, I guess the views expressed might be seen as reasonably representative.

Top Bottom