Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Surely universal use makes sense. Granted it would be mad to have limited use.

Sounds like the death of discs on road frames then. I was expecting them to replace calipers as soon as the pros started to wear them.

I'm actually a bit pleased.

Why do you think it makes sense to ban them? Have they given reasons?
There's an article in cycling weekly, they have made the shout because of the injuries caused in the Paris Roubaix pile up, particularly Fran Ventoso's injury.

Surely universal use makes sense. Granted it would be mad to have limited use.

Sounds like the death of discs on road frames then. I was expecting them to replace calipers as soon as the pros started to wear them.

I'm actually a bit pleased.

I tried a road bike with disc brakes, earlier this year. I found there was a difference in the feel of the bike, if you leaned against the side with the disc on it, which I've not experienced on a MTB / hybrid. Also, people who are riding too close to you, get a scare, if you have to brake suddenly.:eek:. I'm glad we won't be seeing the proliferation of disc brakes on road frames.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I tried a road bike with disc brakes, earlier this year. I found there was a difference in the feel of the bike, if you leaned against the side with the disc on it, which I've not experienced on a MTB / hybrid. Also, people who are riding too close to you, get a scare, if you have to brake suddenly.:eek:. I'm glad we won't be seeing the proliferation of disc brakes on road frames.
even though bikes like giant, specialized, canyon, rose, merida, ritchey, look, pinarello....and to name a few others all have disc brake road frames availlable

and why would people get a scare when riding next to you??

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/186146-have-disc-brakes-really-led-injuries-peloton

What difference in feel when you leaned how? I don't understand. Also, I understand why people get scared if you brake suddenly, especially if they're wheelsucking at the time in a peloton but then, you shouldn't just be braking suddenly. Besides, what has this got to do with discs. With calipers you also freak out when someone brakes for the hell of it. Besides, the fear and panic in the peloton is spread by squealing brakes, which will certainly increase with discs.

I believe that the docs think that the gash on his leg was caused by the rotor on someone's bike.
I see. A bit of forensics could confirm that. However, if the disc is there, sooner or later it will cause some sort of injury. It is one of those risks that needs to be weighed up, I suppose.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Suspends and banned are two different meanings have they released a news item that they have moved form suspended testing and are now banned?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Most sources seem to say "Suspends", with only the Times' headline saying "Bans" (can't read further because of the paywall).

CX (because those innovations tend to feed into touring, and I'm not a big fan of the other options for drop bar braking) is where I'd be disappointed, personally - once I got decent calipers on my road bike, I've always found them to be good enough.

Top Bottom