Disc rotors - worth spending on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Need a 180mm rotor for a spare wheel. Just a quick look on SJS I notice there's quite a price differential between the more expensive ones and the cheapos: ie Aztec 180mm wave rotor £29.99, A2Z Teppan Yaki 180mm £11.99.

Generally is it worth spending on rotors, or they all much of a muchness? The bike it's for is a bit of a Frankenstein creation and mostly well worn and 2nd-hand components so will probably go for the cheapest unless there's a strong reason not too.

(I missed the last cheap 180mm rotor on eBay, which seem come to a tenner by the time you finish postage and then there's the wear on em)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I wouldn't bother with second hand disc rotors myself even though I'm a tightwad.

I would buy a new rotor on price though for a 'bitsa'

RedBike

Different rotors are all slightly different sizes. Different thicknesses, depths of braking surface even diameters. Although it should be perfectly possible to by a generic rotor for your brakes I wouldn't want anything except the genuine make.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
RedBike said:
Different rotors are all slightly different sizes. Different thicknesses, depths of braking surface even diameters. Although it should be perfectly possible to by a generic rotor for your brakes I wouldn't want anything except the genuine make.
Hrmm alright. Think I've had enough mix and matching and eBay buying stuff of uncertain history for now which seems to cause most technical problems I've had. Avid 3s upfront so I I'll get a Avid rotor.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
RedBike said:

guess I've been lucky with 3rd party rotors then....

Top Bottom