Disc vs Caliper on new Road bike - price difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kenam

Regular
Hi,

Looking at a new bike and there are two variants - with disc brakes and with caliper brakes.

Its nearly 400 quid difference (on Shimano 105 spec) - would that seem justified* - all else seems to be the same..

BRAKES:Shimano ST-R7025, BR-R7070, Ø160mm/Ø160mm
VS
SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER:Shimano 105 BR-7000SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER:Shimano 105 2-/11-fach ST7000 black#

* - I guess ultimately its down to what someone will pay..

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano hydraulic shifters are really ugly :ph34r:

if you’re going be riding a lot in bad weather in traffic, hydraulics might be more worth considering. I wouldn’t pay an extra £400 though. How much is each bike?

DSK

Depends on usage as above. If I was riding it as a commuter then yes I'd pay the extra for disc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If say discs are pretty much essential for all weather biking plus you don't need to worry about rim wear.
Four hundred noted is a lot to pay extra. Could you not find another bike with a similar spec that offered discs as standard for less?

I went to rim brakes with cartridge pads, wheels are much easier to replace when they wear out as don’t need to play around with thru axles vs quick release, Centre lock vs 6 bolt etc and can upgrade groupsets a bit easier without having to worry about flat mount, post mount and is mounts.

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
ye - I was a little surprised at the 400 extra.. I never had disc before - I am going form old cube road bike with tiagra groupset to a Rose SL with either 105 or ultegra. Both similar enough bikes I guess (ALU with carbon fork and "endurance" geometry) and fancied the disc brakes just to see the difference.. but at that price.. hmm..

My new bike has rims I wouldn’t want to be replacing too often, I’ve chosen disc brakes for that reason alone. They are not a great idea 90 percent of the time, on road bikes. If it wasn’t for the rim wear consideration, I’d have saved a chunk of cash, and gone with rim brakes.

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
Shimano hydraulic shifters are really ugly :ph34r:

if you’re going be riding a lot in bad weather in traffic, hydraulics might be more worth considering. I wouldn’t pay an extra £400 though. How much is each bike?

1650 EUR for disc vs EUR 1240 for rim version.. so a bit of a jump.

Bike really for weekend club rides, some solo tours

D

Deleted member 26715

1650 EUR for disc vs EUR 1240 for rim version.. so a bit of a jump.

Bike really for weekend club rides, some solo tours
Getting rid of old stock rim braked version?

Venod

Eh up
Also with discs bigger tyres can be fitted if the frame has the clearance, you can get long drop caliper rim brakes for extra clearance, not sure on increasing width clearance with rim brakes.

Chippy Dave

I recently bought a cube mountain bike which has disc brakes and I don't know why but I was expecting a noticeable difference to rim brakes, they seem no better or worse to me, just putting that out there.

vickster

Legendary Member
For your usage, thes no way I'd spend the extra money.

Worst case, if you wear out a set of rims, you can replace them several times over.
Indeed, doesn’t sound like the OP will be doing big miles, so it’ll take forever to wear out.
Also, what’s the weight penalty for the disc version too?

Top Bottom