Disc vs rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
My current hybrid is my first with disc brakes and I wish I'd switched sooner. As others have said, you get more feel and they work really well. I really love my road bike but don't use it as much when I think it might be wet on my commute because of the difference in performance of rims vs discs.

Hopefully I'll never buy another bike with rim brakes.

clid61

Veteran
Got a CX with discs for commuting and genersl titing about, took the road bike to work in the wet last week and shoot myself when braking ! Difference is unreal !

e-rider

crappy member
I don't like the look of discs. On my MTB I have sufficient braking power from the Vs, however, I frequently feel like I need more stopping power on the road bikes - not enough to make me consider a new bike with discs though - I often wonder if I did have more stopping power would I just lock-up my 23mm slicks and crash?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Having multiple gears with a cassette will weaken a rear wheel, so perhaps only single speeds or internal hubs should be used? :smile: Honestly, I think the argument of a slightly weaker front wheel in theory is true, but in practice a well built wheel is a well built wheel (thinking of mountain bikers who do jumps and they more than likely have front discs as well).

Anyway, disc or rim? Depends. Assuming good examples of each brake type:

i. a rim brake will be cheaper, lighter and theoretically more reliable due to simplicity. A good bang for the buck proposition not requiring fancy dancy hubs or disc tabs on a frame, and obviously well tested over time and shown to be adequate. Can always use a regular rack too.
ii. a disc brake offers arguably better modulation and wet braking performance and has been shown to be just as reliable as a rim brake. Downsides are they are usually less bang for the buck and some designs require special racks if you need to fit one.

For sake of full disclosure my bikes have dual calipre, cantis, v-brakes, u-brakes, cable disc brakes and hydraulic disk brakes. My hydraulic disc brakes outperform the other brakes, but were, of course, the most expensive!

I can't say discs look ugly to me, never even thought of that. Take your choice!

Disc at the front will weaken the wheel slightly (dished versus dishless). Probably no change at the back.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In a few years time rim brakes will be history - which the antiquated old things should have become two decades ago. All the arguments now being put forward against discs on bikes were trotted out when they were introduced on cars and motorcycles, yet now only a mug would want to go back to drums.

potsy

Rambler
No plans to buy another rim braked bike, discs for my next commute bike for sure.

I can see your point about the 'weekend' bike not needing them but if I was replacing my 'weekend' bike I would still go for one with discs now to try to get uniformity between all my bikes.

Drago

Legendary Member
In terms of performance I've never had an issue with rim brakes but then I know how to set them up.

The lack of rim wear is attractive, but not enough on its own to swing the balance for me.

Peteaud

Veteran
If i ever sell the summer plastic bike, the next plastic one will have discs, no question.

My winter bike is disc equiped, no hassle and stops without that nasty grinding through rim noise.

As for ugly, i quite like the look
cannondale-2014-synapse-hi-mod-di2-disc-bike_productImages_20793-1-23381_372_247_True.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So, what do we think....for a road bike

Iwill we see a full peloton of pro riders all sporting discs anytime soon...which means the shops will start to inevitably stock them more.

There are concerns among the pros about a mixed disc/rim peloton - unequal brake power among the bikes could lead to pile ups.

Simply making discs legal for pro road racing would not be enough, they would have to be made compulsory.

Presumably that could be done as close season rule change, but no doubt the teams would have something to say about how that would work.

I agree once Wiggo, Cav et all are riding discs, rim brakes will be all but obsolete within a model year.

Drago

Legendary Member
In terms of performance I've never had an issue with rim brakes but then I know how to set them up.

The lack of rim wear is attractive, but not enough on its own to swing the balance for me.

Top Bottom