Disc vs rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The answer is to clean the hex socket hole out then fit the hex bit into it and tap it sharply with a hammer to break the bond before trying to unscrew it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nope. I've been using discs on my mountain bike for, I reckon, 15 years or longer and never had a problem despite numerous offs and mishaps. Even if a disc did get bent, as somebody wrote above, they are easily bent back. The biggest problem with discs is that the bolts that mount them to the hub are usually small and made from steel, meaning they can get siezed in the alloy hub and then the socket gets rounded out making them very tricky to remove.

Magura use Torx bolts which makes on the fly fettling harder because you have to carry a Torx driver set in addition to allen keys.

Not to mention the occasional Magura installation on which the fixings have been wrecked because someone tried to use allen keys.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Magura use Torx bolts which makes on the fly fettling harder because you have to carry a Torx driver set in addition to allen keys.

Not to mention the occasional Magura installation on which the fixings have been wrecked because someone tried to use allen keys.

Well you hardly need a set of torx drivers for one size of bolt, although I do agree a mixture of fastener styles is a bit of a nuisance. Change the rest for Torx perhaps?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well you hardly need a set of torx drivers for one size of bolt, although I do agree a mixture of fastener styles is a bit of a nuisance. Change the rest for Torx perhaps?

Quite so, although I think there are two sizes on my Magura brakes.

The chances of needing to drive those brake fasteners while on a ride are low, and I understand newer multi-tools than mine have a couple of Torx bits.

Venod

Eh up
I have had a CX bike with discs and they were very good but IMO not exceptionally better than my calliper braked road bikes, for MTB I would not consider anything other than discs, but for road I think the lightness of callipers wins for me, for a commuter I can see the attraction and if I was commuting I would probably use them, but for a fast road bike just used for pleasure & training, I'm sticking with callipers for now.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Yes, but are they a secret?

More, er, Torx is about the strength of it.
I don't think it's been a secret, although it did have a patent I think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx#Principles_of_operation

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just being pedantic,they will be screws in the hub, not bolts.

Mmm, if I pointed out every poxy little error on here I would have a lot of pointing out to do, but if that's how you want to play it, fine.

You are right the fixing in the brake is most accurately described as a screw, not a bolt.

On t'other hand, is there any difference in the fixing itself when used as a bolt, that is, with a nut on the end?

I doubt it.

DaveS

It's an interesting thread this. The consensus from respondents who have used both is that discs are far superior, BUT, if a disc brake is defined as a disc pinched between two pads, then we ALL have disc brakes, some using a 27 inch disc, some using an 8 inch one. Now, in general, a bigger disc generates more leverage, so what's going on? Is it simply steel v ally? Do rims limit the power we can use because they are not solid? Is it just that there has been insufficient development in caliper brakes?
Has anyone tried the new Shimao callipers?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's an interesting thread this. The consensus from respondents who have used both is that discs are far superior, BUT, if a disc brake is defined as a disc pinched between two pads, then we ALL have disc brakes, some using a 27 inch disc, some using an 8 inch one. Now, in general, a bigger disc generates more leverage, so what's going on? Is it simply steel v ally? Do rims limit the power we can use because they are not solid? Is it just that there has been insufficient development in caliper brakes?
Has anyone tried the new Shimao callipers?
There is nothing wrong with decent rim brakes in the dry - I can easily lock the wheels when operating my Campag Chorus brakes with just one finger on each lever. They actually work pretty well in the wet too, but do require more than a one finger effort per lever. The main problem for me is the wear issue.

There is nothing wrong with decent rim brakes in the dry - I can easily lock the wheels when operating my Campag Chorus brakes with just one finger on each lever. They actually work pretty well in the wet too, but do require more than a one finger effort per lever. The main problem for me is the wear issue.
You've hit the nail on the head. This sums it up nicely.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Found a minus point about my discs, they are a right faff to get the wheel in and out if you need to do a inner tube change , lets hope its not to often and not in the dark as getting the rotor back in without the inner pad catching the rotor and sticking to it is fiddly .

Top Bottom