Disc Wheel set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I need new wheels on my Specialized Sirrus
This is my work bike, touring bike and general all round bike.
Any recommendations for a decent 9 speed disc set please

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should check out your LBS and see what they can offer. You'll want someone to transfer the bits over unless you intend to do that yourself.
You can also ask them if it is possible to rebuild your current set, you don't say what the problem is with them.
Alternatively you could search out a good slightly used set from Gumtree/eBay.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

I should check out your LBS and see what they can offer. You'll want someone to transfer the bits over unless you intend to do that yourself.
You can also ask them if it is possible to rebuild your current set, you don't say what the problem is with them.
Alternatively you could search out a good slightly used set from Gumtree/eBay.

The cassette seems to be ceased on.
It’s a 2nd hand bike that I bought a couple of years ago. I’m putting a new chain on so I decided to change the cassette too.
The LBS has broken his chain whip trying to get it off. They will soak it then have another go.
If they’re unsuccessful then I’ll look at new wheels.
LBS can order some for me but don’t really have them in stock.
Was just wondering my options really

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So it's really just the rear you need. You could get them to lace a new hub on but a new wheel might be cheaper. I bought a good used rear wheel for my Specialized nine speed disc bike and it was only about £12, but that was down here.
Like I said you could look for used. Here's a pair not too far from you for £45. Doesn't say what cassette will fit so you'd need to enquire;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/700-disc-brake-wheels/1341124435

Or a new rear one on eBay for forty quid;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331481458346

I'm assuming you have six bolt disc fixing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Venod

Eh up

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I like those but the rotors are 160mm
How do I tell if the rotors are centre lock or 6 bolt?
Those are six bolt. Rotors are separate items so could be transfered from your existing.
They are light weight road wheels so may not be as strong as your Sirrus wheels with more spokes.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Those are six bolt. Rotors are separate items so could be transfered from your existing.
They are light weight road wheels so may not be as strong as your Sirrus wheels with more spokes.

I don’t know if my rotors are 6 bolt or centre lock is what I meant :blush:
I will probably need more robust wheels as I also use the bike for a bit of light touring

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you look at the rotors you will see the six bolts. Most likely they are.
6-Bolt-Engage-T25.jpg

Stronger wheels are always preferable for touring. I should just try to get a rear wheel like the one on eBay I posted, unless you really want a new set, much cheaper.

Top Bottom