Discontinued saddle woe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I currently sit astride a Fizik Arione K3 saddle on both my bikes. I’ve always struggled to find a ‘perfect‘ saddle, but this is by far the closest I’ve come. By far.

https://www.mybikereviews.co.uk/fizik-arione-k3-tri-saddle-carbon-review/

It was actually designed/marketed as a triathlon saddle (k = Kona) so it‘s got a decent amount of padding compared to a standard arione, especially on the nose - ideal for those of us who like to get on the rivet and thrash out the occasional fast one (comparatively).

The saddle on my best bike has been a bit creaky of late, and when investigating today I found a significant crack on the underside. The K3 however is now a discontinued model so unless I strike it lucky on ’the bay’ I’ll need to find something else.

I’d love your recommendations on something similar... and possibly something that corrects its only fault, of being a smidgeon narrow.

Many thanks in advance.

si_c

Guru
You can still find it if you don't mind the price being ridiculous.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
You can still find it if you don't mind the price being ridiculous.
Not sure I’d chance that website with that amount of cash!

Am actually interested in alternatives here, given as much as this is the best saddle I’ve had... it isn’t perfect. I still get sore when rides go to 2-3 hours, and I’m most definitely a saddle fidget, always moving about trying to find a comfy spot.

si_c

Guru
Have you measured the dimensions on that saddle? I'm thinking max width, front to back width and width at the nose.

Probably worth thinking about that as a starting point and then comparing with new ones.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Width wise it’s 128mm which despite the relative comfort is too narrow for me if I’ve measured my sit bones properly. Hence the hope for alternative recommendations. 300mm length i think. but I’m not sure how important this is... would I move around less if I found a saddle with a more suitable width?

rivers

How far can I go?
Is there a shop local to you with demo saddles? For a small fee you can test different saddles for a certain amount of time (my local shop is a week per saddle) to see if they work for you.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Might it be worth contacting Fizik? Play the longstanding loyal customer, distraught that your beloved saddle has died and that you can't find anything as good. If they're any good they'll at least give you a recommendation of something in their range that's genuinely equivalent / close, if they're really good they might try and ply your repeat business in other ways..

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Might it be worth contacting Fizik? Play the longstanding loyal customer, distraught that your beloved saddle has died and that you can't find anything as good. If they're any good they'll at least give you a recommendation of something in their range that's genuinely equivalent / close, if they're really good they might try and ply your repeat business in other ways..
That's a good point. I may well do that.
I had a dig around in my parts bin earlier in the week and found a Fizik Arione Tri2 which seems to be an earlier iteration - without the carbon bits and with manganese rather than Kium rails (?!?). Haven't managed to get it exactly set up the same yet, but will do the trick temporarily... the major problem being that it's the wrong bloomin colour! The red back kind of goes, but the white body is a horrific crime coupled with the black bar tape :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
You need white or red bartape...simples :okay:

That bike looks wickedly uncomfortable!! :wacko:

And your pictures look to be seriously wonky! :ph34r:

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
And your pictures look to be seriously wonky! :ph34r:
Ah you mean the pictures on the wall... not my photography skills. Yeah, they're precariously balanced and I think they move when the window's open/door closes.:blush:
I'll get round to sorting at some point :okay:

Top Bottom