Discrepencies Between Strava & Veloviewer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
According to Strava I have done 8,007.7 miles in 2018. Veloviewer says 8,118 miles. I figured since VV gets it's figures from Strava they would be the same? Occasionally VV will give me say 10.6 miles vs Strava giving 10.5 miles (with the recorded ride on Garmin being 10.56 miles), but I don't think there's enough occasions of this through the year to make a 100 miles + difference.

Any ideas? I've done a 'Get Everything' which took ages, but no change...

13 rider

Guru
I have roughly the same veloviewer and mycycle log has me at 12002 but Strava is 11950 not idea where the difference comes from

Venod

Eh up
In Strava go to your profile page and at the right under all your stats, click on the Refresh Stats box and see if that makes a difference,

Do you have activities in Strava other than cycling, if so VV might be counting these.

steverob

Guru
When Strava shows a distance that is to just one decimal place, they always round down (e.g. 10.58 is 10.5), but maybe Veloviewer just round to the nearest decimal place?

Plus there was a post on the Veloviewer Facebook page recently (I don't use FB, but someone told me about it) where they mentioned that even flagged and private activities still get pulled into VV and count towards their totals, while Strava sometimes excludes these from your total and this could explain a discrepancy.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would have thought veloviewer gets a GPX track so it can determine the squares covered etc. Raw GPX do not contain distances just a list of lat / lon points and timestamps. So it will be be calculating the distance between the trackpoints in sequence and totalling it up. Depending on the projection used it may come up with a slightly different answer than Strava. The difference is just over 1% so in realms of differences in the calcs. Without seeing the calcs that Strava and Veloviewer use you will never know for sure.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
In Strava go to your profile page and at the right under all your stats, click on the Refresh Stats box and see if that makes a difference,

Do you have activities in Strava other than cycling, if so VV might be counting these.

Nail on the head, thank you. I've just refreshed stats, and Strava now says 8,116.8 miles (cycling), so with the 1 mile walk that I did that's pretty much spot on to VV.
Rather frustrating though, since I use the Strava figure for my target mileage, which I'm now 116.8 miles over:laugh:

Slick

Guru
When Strava shows a distance that is to just one decimal place, they always round down (e.g. 10.58 is 10.5), but maybe Veloviewer just round to the nearest decimal place?

Plus there was a post on the Veloviewer Facebook page recently (I don't use FB, but someone told me about it) where they mentioned that even flagged and private activities still get pulled into VV and count towards their totals, while Strava sometimes excludes these from your total and this could explain a discrepancy.
All my rides on strava are now private and they are still all included in my totals.

vickster

Legendary Member
Strava gave me 2616 miles ytd, Veloviewer 2652. Used the refresh statistics button in Strava and it increased my total to 2647
I'm just did the refresh and I 'lost' nearly 100 miles :cry: means I'll be aiming again for 3700 not 3800 :cry:

Boon 51

Veteran
Even Strava is wrong sometimes.. When I liven in Malaga there was a hill of 5 klm it was two lane going up and one lane coming down. The going up was 5% gradient and coming down was 6% lol

Alan O

Über Member
I've noticed a few discrepancies during the year too, but nothing systematic. For most of the year the two were in perfect agreement, then a couple of months ago I noticed VeloViewer was slightly ahead of Strava. I record only cycling on Strava, nothing else, and I have just done a refresh.

Strava currently shows my total for 2018 as 2,300.1 miles, VeloViewer shows it as 2,304 miles. That difference is well within the error margins for GPS based on location accuracy and the time between fixes, and either is just arbitrary over-precision.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd guess some differences are down to what's taken as "non-riding" distance.

If you take your GPS into a cafe without turning it off, it will record the bad signal dither into your track log GPX file. This can add up to several km per occasion, and could be getting spotted and removed by Strava.

Top Bottom