Disgusted with SMART lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am quite disgusted, in fact I'm bordering on angry that such a rip-off product should be sold

Only thing is, I'm disappointed too as the Smart range of lights are, in my experience, the most versatile for mounting on racks, seatposts, trailers, pretty much anywhere which is why I stuck with them this year after some problems with water ingress last year with the smart 1/2 watt

I "upgraded" this year to two 1 watt units. The switch is rubberised instead of the "press the thin bit of casing" affair and there looked to be a substantial seal around the body and the backplate. It looked like the newer ones had addressed the water ingress issue.

I've had these two lights for two weeks - no longer. Pretty much every day I have had them mounted on my trailer - that's behind the wheels away from any upward spray and they've been fine

THE FIRST TIME I've mounted the light on my rear rack (using the Smart bracket disigned for such fitting) I have got to work and my light has changed modes and will not switch off - it's not even raining, that is purely from road spray!

Two lights cost about £35 and what bloody use are they? I'm considering raising an issue of "not fit for purpose" - what if I was on a dark country road in the rain and my lights start changing modes into "off" mode without my knowledge?

What other alternatives are there out there for a bright light that will mount to the tubing of my trailer and onto my rack?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mars 3 and 4 are good, RSP Astrum or all killer magicshine 818's. Or Exposure flare.

I've had one superflash that didn't like water - used to stop. So far OK with current two used as backups to the Magicshines.

I have Mars 3 and 4's that are on the MTB - they are very water proof.

That's such a shame with the new 1w - looked promising. Also avoid the Raleigh Dual 1/2 watt - that too looked promising, but it blows the circuits if it gets slightly damp (two dead ones) - unlike the smarts which work once you've shoved it on a radiator.

Try pulling to bits and apply vaseline to the rubber seals/switch

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Mars 3 and 4 are good, RSP Astrum or all killer magicshine 818's. Or Exposure flare.

I've had one superflash that didn't like water - used to stop. So far OK with current two used as backups to the Magicshines.

I have Mars 3 and 4's that are on the MTB - they are very water proof.

That's such a shame with the new 1w - looked promising. Also avoid the Raleigh Dual 1/2 watt - that too looked promising, but it blows the circuits if it gets slightly damp (two dead ones) - unlike the smarts which work once you've shoved it on a radiator.

Try pulling to bits and apply vaseline to the rubber seals/switch

I'm going to try this stuff
http://www.towsure.com/product/Contralube_770_Electrical_Weatherproofer

See if that does any good

Shouldn't have to spend money on lights that are pricey enough as it is and I'll be sending my comments to Smart

Smart are perfectly good lights. The eternal problem with certain groups of products is their high 'failure' rates. The only two industries I know anything about: Bathroom and kitchen products have a 15 to 20% returns rate. Bicycle electronics have (in my estimation) a 5 to 10% failure rate. With bike lights and computers any manufacturing faults will become apparent within the first few days or even minutes of use. ie - if it doesn't go to shoot in the first week it probably wont go to shoot at all. And it's the same story with any brand.

The likelyhood of every example of that particular light being faulty is extrememly slim. You just got a bad one in the lottery that is mass-produced inexpensive electronic goods. It's just the nature of the beast.

Take it back. Try another example. #2 will probably work perfectly well.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Smart are perfectly good lights. The eternal problem with certain groups of products is their high 'failure' rates. The only two industries I know anything about: Bathroom and kitchen products have a 15 to 20% returns rate. Bicycle electronics have (in my estimation) a 5 to 10% failure rate. With bike lights and computers any manufacturing faults will become apparent within the first few days or even minutes of use. ie - if it doesn't go to shoot in the first week it probably wont go to shoot at all. And it's the same story with any brand.

The likelyhood of every example of that particular light being faulty is extrememly slim. You just got a bad one in the lottery that is mass-produced inexpensive electronic goods. It's just the nature of the beast.

Take it back. Try another example. #2 will probably work perfectly well.

No, it's not failure rate or a "bad one", it is poor design and water ingress which other models of Smart lights are noted for.

It is working fine now it has dried out

However, it is a product designed for outdoor use on a bicycle and it fails to do what it is designed for

Foolishly I thought the seals on these new ones looked to have addressed the issue. I was wrong

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I used to have 2 smart rear lights. One fell off and was run over by a van, the second is now my emergency backup to the Flare. I just don't have the confidence in the 1/2 watt that it will still be going when it gets wet. So far it's always failed safe in the rain, but I'm not willing to take the chance that it might fail to off mode.

No, it's not failure rate or a "bad one", it is poor design and water ingress which other models of Smart lights are noted for.

It is working fine now it has dried out

However, it is a product designed for outdoor use on a bicycle and it fails to do what it is designed for

Foolishly I thought the seals on these new ones looked to have addressed the issue. I was wrong

Fair do's. I don't know the model to which you are referring, but I've used Smart lights for three or four years without experiencing the types of problem you've had.

You've bought a poorly designed bicycle lamp. No need to get your panties in a bunch, just return it to the shop and buy a CatEye.

lukesdad

Having had the same problem with a Smart rear I would never buy one again.

Davidc

Guru
ALWAYS, WITH ALL MAKES AND ALL ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT ON A BIKE put a smear of silicone grease round the seal and anywhere else moisture might enter.

The tube I've linked to should last you about 20 years (unfortunately it goes off before it's used up - after about 10 years)

I have dropped a 1w Smart rear light in a puddle on two occasions. It just goes on flashing and works perfectly afterwards. I've never had a problem in any downpour or similar with any Smart rear light and I've been using them since the 1/2 watt superflash came out That's because I put a minute smear of silicone grease on the seal each time I change the battery.

On another thread someone suggested doing the same but using vaseline. Messier but it should work if you want an even cheaper alternative.

Even professional electronic equipment costing 10s of 1000s of £ needs silicone grease on the seals to keep the water out, so what do you expect of bike lights.

lukesdad

I've heard people say the same about CatEye, Vista, etc. But I've never heard anyone saying that they'd never eat another apple because they happened to get a bad one once upon a time.

You pays your money and you make your choice. Its my money I ll make my own choice thank you.

ohnovino

Large Member
Another thread on Smart lights (that I can't seem to find) suggested the faults are caused by water coming back up from the rear tyre. If you ride with mudguards you should be able to go through a torrential downpour and the light will be fine; without them a small amount of spray can be enough to cause problems.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Even professional electronic equipment costing 10s of 1000s of £ needs silicone grease on the seals to keep the water out, so what do you expect of bike lights.

I expect branded, £17-ish units to be better sealed than "MyCycle" branded units (Poundland's cycle accessory brand), and on a unit that has been out a few years in its basic design, for initial design flaws to be adressed in susequent models

At least that was the outlook when I was studying design engineering

Smart Lunar 10's, thats what I have and so far fine, like ohnovino says though mine is mounted above my mudguards so spray is minimal.

Top Bottom