Disgusting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Yes - quite a pasting. One lorry driver calls us all ***ts and boasts of driving as fast and as close as possible to cyclists esp' those that are two abreast.

I didn't know that this level of hatred towards us existed - pretty sobering really.
People post any rubbish from the safety of their keyboard. The downside of the internet is that morons get to say things in public, the upside is that the morons out themselves publically.

With regard to the lorry driver, if he is identifiable then eventually it will get back to his employer, these idiots forget the whole World is watching.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've seen that hatred before on facebook, whether those keybnoard warriors would be as brave in real life is another matter.

Aye, such anger, and such poor spelling and grammar.

I'd expect the horsey set from Royal Berkshire to be better educated.

Not, of course, that this will have been hijacked by the general anti-cycling lobby.

MikeG

Guru
I'm clutching about for some sort of explanation for this disgraceful behaviour. What is it that could have led to a bunch of cyclists behaving like that? The only thing I can come up with is that they went around a corner or over the brow of a hill and suddenly found themselves behind a horse with nowhere to go. They're doing 25mph, and the horse is doing 3mph. Those on the inside at the back of a group maybe.... The first in the group have no excuse even in this circumstance, because they have a view, and could have easily given a metre or two more clearance. Maybe the undertakers were just left with the option of pranging into the horse, crashing into the bikes outside them, or undertaking, with a split second to choose? I dunno. Seems far-fetched to me. Anyone else come up with some other excuse?

keithmac

Guru
Take everything you read on Facebook with a pinch of salt, I have put a few people straight the with cyclist cycling to work their cars and motorcycles wouldn't get repaired etc..

That video is truly shocking though and bound to paint us all with the same brush unfortunately..

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
FB post from Lisa Ann Knight:

FOR THOSE NOT READING THE THREAD PLEASE NOTE : Human Race 3 hrs ·

We are currently investigating an incident at the Windsor Triathlon involving a group of cyclists and a horse rider. We are taking this very seriously. Riders will be identified and disqualified from this event, and banned from all future Human Race Events.

All riders are briefed to follow the Highway Code, and we do not condone dangerous cycling of any kind. We offer our sincere apologies to the individual involved.

Edit: sort of a cross post with @youngoldbloke

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Flipping idiots. When I come up behind a horse, I say hello to make my presence known and then cycle past at about 10 mph, whilst giving a wide berth. So do any other cyclists I have ever met.

Pretty much what I do, without the speeding up to 10mph part.

User269

[QUOTE 5280476, member: 10119"]They are aware, they are investigating, and they have apologised publically on FB. I would hope they follow that up more personally.
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/humanraceevents/posts/1949532235079919&width=500[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Meanwhile, I hope that any facebook supporters here will post their condemnation of this behaviour. And also the behaviour of posters there who are threatening to drive in a dangerous manner, apparently oblivious that their intentions are far more dangerous and unacceptable than the incident posted.

Meanwhile, out here in the actual, real world, most of us manage to behave, and think, decently most of the time, and here in User269 world we co-exist warmly and in a co-operative manner with agri vehicles, horses, walkers & so on, on a regular basis, with no friction. Social media = Daily Mail as far as I'm concerned.

And now for my 'keyboard warrior', angry social media nonsense; Windsor Tri?? Bunch of self-entitled upper class nobbers & hooray henrys, most of whom are obviously bankers. Despite which, they've apparently never seen a horse before, and don't know how to behave around one.

stephec

Legendary Member
Yes - quite a pasting. One lorry driver calls us all ***ts and boasts of driving as fast and as close as possible to cyclists esp' those that are two abreast.

I didn't know that this level of hatred towards us existed - pretty sobering really.

That would make him every bit as bad as the cyclists in the video, and even more of a simpleton if he's bragging about doing it publicly.

I wonder how a court would view an accident if he had one tomorrow that involved a cyclist?

Brandane

Legendary Member
The only thing I can come up with is that they went around a corner or over the brow of a hill and suddenly found themselves behind a horse with nowhere to go.

Always be able to stop within the distance that you can see to be clear ahead. A basic principle of driving which also applies to cycling.

Anyone else come up with some other excuse?

No.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Piddling hell, just seen the contempt for cyclists on her Facebook page... I'm walking to work tomorrow.
This will infiltrate thru to the detriment of all cyclists, even knbbin triathletes who think they are some kind of Brownlee and think themselves above because
#doin it for charity to save a kid's life but really being a complete weekend warrior tsspot

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm clutching about for some sort of explanation for this disgraceful behaviour. What is it that could have led to a bunch of cyclists behaving like that? The only thing I can come up with is that they went around a corner or over the brow of a hill and suddenly found themselves behind a horse with nowhere to go. They're doing 25mph, and the horse is doing 3mph. Those on the inside at the back of a group maybe.... The first in the group have no excuse even in this circumstance, because they have a view, and could have easily given a metre or two more clearance. Maybe the undertakers were just left with the option of pranging into the horse, crashing into the bikes outside them, or undertaking, with a split second to choose? I dunno. Seems far-fetched to me. Anyone else come up with some other excuse?
There are no excuses[PERIOD]

I am Spartacus

Über Member
It is all over Twitter now... really has gone nuclear.
Er , racing on the road can be safe for everyone...... Triathlons get away with proverbial 'murder' because they shout the charity card half the time. Organise a road race and you have to jump thru hoops to get Police permisssions et al.