Dishwasher tablets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Sink user here it's got to be easier as you can check each item as you wash it and place on draining board

Waste of time, energy and water!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Re; dishwasher salt. Many of the tablets are 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 and have their own salt/rinse aid 'built in' so if you put additional additives into your machine you are effectively paying twice and throwing excess chemicals down the drain.

Aye, but your water is lovely and soft. Where I live, you practically need a masonry bit to get the water out of the kettle.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Fairy tablets every time but where is all the dishwasher salt gone? Can’t find any anywhere

There's plenty in the supermarkets round here. Which is bizarre as it must be at least 100 miles to the nearest hard water supply.

What I can't find anymore is dishwasher powder. Worked out at half the price of tablets.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A few months ago Aldi changed the pack for their one litre Magnum washing up liquid. Previously the bottle was the same shape, but larger, as the 500ml offering. It was also renamed Magnum Original. I didn't think much of this till I started using it and found I needed 2-3 times the amount to get any sort of decent lather which didn't last very long.

I bought a second bottle and found the same. It occurred to me the active ingredients might have changed. Earlier this week I checked it out when I bought the 500ml bottle which is giving the results I expected.

Magnum Original (79p per litre)
Anionic Surfactants 5-15%
Amphoteric Surfactants <5%

Magnum 500ml (£1.38 per litre)
Anionic Surfactants 15-30%
Non-ionic Surfactants 5-15%
Amphoteric Surfactants <5%

Out of interest, I'm not really this sad, I've checked the active ingredients in dishwasher tablets.

Fairy Platinum (26p Sainsbury website)
  • 5-15% Non-Ionic Surfactants Oxygen-Based Bleaching Agents,
  • <5% Phosphonates,
  • Polycarboxylates,
  • Enzymes,
  • Perfumes,
  • Citronellol,
  • Limonene,
  • Linalool
Aldi Magnum Premium (11p Aldi website)
  • 5-15%: Oxygen-based Bleaching Agents, Non-ionic Surfactants
  • <5%: Phosphonates
  • Polycarboxylates
  • Enzymes,
  • Perfumes
  • Limonene
  • Benzisothiazolinone
  • Sodium Pyrithione.
I'm no chemist but it seems to me for washing up liquid cheap isn't great value. The dishwasher tablets appear identical and one is paying 15p per tablet for marketing. You pays your money............

Last edited:
It doesn't take much longer than loading and unloading a dishwasher plus you control the amount of water used and you can recycle the water.

I have seen how some people wash up and believe you me I would wash them again before usage.

remind me of a little story
WHen I was teaching the COokery teacher - sorry, silly me, Food Technology teacher - told us about a little boy (one of THOSE) who loved hleping out
so he was asked to help out behind the scene when the GCSE kids were doing a sort of dinner party thing
he was put in charge of laying the tables - including putting out the cutlery

she told him to make sure the cutlery was nice and clean
then found him licking any that were not perfect before wiping then enthusiastically wit the tea towel!!!
(note - not only was this clearly wrong - but it was made worse by him not being the cleanest kid in the school - probably ran in and outof the shower at speed about once a week from the smell at time!!!)

We were aksed to sneak in and re-wash them while he was busy elsewhere!!!

(BTW - he was in my form group as well - he need a lot of keeping an eye on!)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
For one person a dishwasher is a waste of money. It only takes minutes to wash dishes and cutlery before stacking them in the rack. They are left to air dry and only need a quick inspection before putting away. Quicker and easier thsn a fancy machine.

vickster

Legendary Member
For one person a dishwasher is a waste of money. It only takes minutes to wash dishes and cutlery before stacking them in the rack. They are left to air dry and only need a quick inspection before putting away. Quicker and easier thsn a fancy machine.

No it’s not…for me at least. Doesn’t cost much at all, my time is more valuable to me. Would much rather spend my spare time not washing up!
My dishwasher isn’t especially fancy!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No it’s not…for me at least. Doesn’t cost much at all, my time is more valuable to me. Would much rather spend my spare time not washing up!
My dishwasher isn’t especially fancy!

It is quicker and easier than stowing a machine. Lunch today took one bowl for microwaved soup and one plate and a knife for bread. Takes seconds to wash and stack to air dry.

vickster

Legendary Member
It is quicker and easier than stowing a machine. Lunch today took one bowl for microwaved soup and one plate and a knife for bread. Takes seconds to wash and stack to air dry.

We will agree to disagree :rolleyes:
It takes me max 10 mins a week to fill and empty my slimline dishwasher while I do something else, no need to run a tap, no damage to the skin on my hands or need for gloves. I have a small sink and drainer. No room for a rack to air dry so I’d have to dry up every time and then spend time washing and hanging up tea towels!

Life’s really too short to spend washing up, let alone discussing it!! :wacko:

Not to mention the OP asked about dishwasher tablets for a machine he wishes to use!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom