Dishwasher tablets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Use the sink instead ! ^_^

When i had a dishwasher back in't 90s, my stacking OCD always meant I'd spend more time putting efficiently arranging stuff into the dishwasher than it would have taken to just wash-up in the sink, which also involved a fair bit of OCD ordering of what i had to wash.

Edit... it would have probably been easier if it was just me, but there were five of us so it was always a huge stack to tackle.

Another edit. I do use the dishwasher at work and we 'swear' by Aldi's tablets ;)

Last edited:
I do find that it is best to set the dishwasher off once at least once a day even if it is only a bit full

Otherwise you spend ages arranging plates and pans efficiently and waste more time than you would otherwise save.

Anyway - as I said - I use Finish - I have used ALdi and they were just as good - but didn;t have a protective coating that dissolves so I don't like using them!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I use a sink and washing up liquid, but do genuinely wonder about the merit of dishwashers.

Seems a lot of faff, expense, and probably wasted time and water if you have to rinse the stuff first.

I've some sympathy for large families, but as a sad, lonely, single person, leaving several days of washing up festering in the dishwasher to fill it is also a nonsense.

I did use a commercial dishwasher while working at a control on London Edinburgh London.

That thing did do the job, but I bet it thrashed the crockery and cutlery.

I believe gold painted crockery is still a risk in a dishwasher, which is something else that rules me out.

PK99

Legendary Member
I use a sink and washing up liquid, but do genuinely wonder about the merit of dishwashers.

Seems a lot of faff, expense, and probably wasted time and water if you have to rinse the stuff first.
Pre-rising is not only unnesessary, but it is also counter productive:

Thanks to some spiffy dishwasher technology, dirty dishes may actually end up cleaner after a round in a dishwasher than their pre-rinsed counterparts — if you have a modern dishwasher, that is. If your ancient dishwasher is still clinging on as those old appliances often do, you might want to continue pre-rinsing.

According to Consumer Reports, most dishwashers made in the past 10 years — and even older dishwashers that were higher-end models at the time — have a soil-sensing system. This consists of a soil collector and a pressure sensor. During the first rinse, the pressure sensor measures how much gunk is coming off your dishes, then adjusts the wash accordingly. According to the patent, this technology has been around since 2000. In addition to more intuitively cleaning your dishes, the system was also meant to increase energy efficiency.

If the soil-sensing system detects dirty dishes with lots of stuck-on food particles, it ramps up its attack. Depending on the model of the dishwasher, the system may increase the water temperature, add time to the wash cycle, release more detergent or drain the soiled water more frequently.

However, if you pre-wash your dishes, the soil-sensing system thinks they’re clean. It mounts no attack. In other words, your dishes will only receive a light wash — which may not be enough to get them squeaky clean.

PK99

Legendary Member
When i was a copywriter i often wrote similar guff. There's probably a sensor to detect if the outlet gets blocked, but that's about it.

https://www.4kenwood.co.uk/turbidity-sensor/product.pl?pid=5007131#:~:text=The purpose of the turbidity,wash in all the programs.

1689515635092.png

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Pre-rising is not only unnesessary, but it is also counter productive:

Thanks to some spiffy dishwasher technology, dirty dishes may actually end up cleaner after a round in a dishwasher than their pre-rinsed counterparts — if you have a modern dishwasher, that is. If your ancient dishwasher is still clinging on as those old appliances often do, you might want to continue pre-rinsing.

According to Consumer Reports, most dishwashers made in the past 10 years — and even older dishwashers that were higher-end models at the time — have a soil-sensing system. This consists of a soil collector and a pressure sensor. During the first rinse, the pressure sensor measures how much gunk is coming off your dishes, then adjusts the wash accordingly. According to the patent, this technology has been around since 2000. In addition to more intuitively cleaning your dishes, the system was also meant to increase energy efficiency.

If the soil-sensing system detects dirty dishes with lots of stuck-on food particles, it ramps up its attack. Depending on the model of the dishwasher, the system may increase the water temperature, add time to the wash cycle, release more detergent or drain the soiled water more frequently.

However, if you pre-wash your dishes, the soil-sensing system thinks they’re clean. It mounts no attack. In other words, your dishes will only receive a light wash — which may not be enough to get them squeaky clean.

I'd beg to differ. Our dishwasher is a post 2000 Bosch, a quality product. Generally everything washes very well but anything with mashed potatoes or curry sauce on it needs to be rinsed first or washed by hand. Washing in the dishwasher without a pre-rinse results in everything else getting coated in a baked on covering of potato or curry sauce.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I've some sympathy for large families, but as a sad, lonely, single person, leaving several days of washing up festering in the dishwasher to fill it is also a nonsense.
I agree.

There was a dishwasher here in his rental property for the first 4 or 5 years but the only thing I ever used it for was storing bike stuff!

The previous owners had put a washing machine point in the bathroom above the kitchen to make space for that dishwasher. The problem with that was that the washing machine almost shook the kitchen ceiling down when on the spin cycle. With my landlady(sister)'s permission I gave the dishwasher away and put the washing machine in its place.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'd beg to differ. Our dishwasher is a post 2000 Bosch, a quality product. Generally everything washes very well but anything with mashed potatoes or curry sauce on it needs to be rinsed first or washed by hand. Washing in the dishwasher without a pre-rinse results in everything else getting coated in a baked on covering of potato or curry sauce.

I would suggest your machine I faulty - unless you are leaving large lump if food on the dishes. Scraping is necessary, pre-rinsing is not.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

lazybloke

Considering a new username
There was a mention of slime accumulating under the filter grills, which is something that every dishwasher I've had has suffered from... With one exception.

The current "hoover"-branded one needs an occasional wipe of the door seal, but the filters are spotlessly clean.

Where does the slime go?

Jameshow

Veteran
I agree.

There was a dishwasher here in his rental property for the first 4 or 5 years but the only thing I ever used it for was storing bike stuff!

The previous owners had put a washing machine point in the bathroom above the kitchen to make space for that dishwasher. The problem with that was that the washing machine almost shook the kitchen ceiling down when on the spin cycle. With my landlady(sister)'s permission I gave the dishwasher away and put the washing machine in its place.

Why not use it for degreasing or better still showering if your still flexible enough!

Top Bottom