Disk brakes verses rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I like both.
Rim brakes for the lovely light weight roadie. Discs for the commuter/Tourer.
I thionk the fact that only one of the world tour teams are still normally using rim brakes says a lot about the weight/efficiency trade off.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thionk the fact that only one of the world tour teams are still normally using rim brakes says a lot about the weight/efficiency trade off.

Oh don't get me wrong. There's negligible weight difference that us mere mortals can tell these days between the systems. It's just that imo rim brakes look far better on a bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Not really as all bikes in use in their races can be built to the minimum UCI weight limit whether rim or disc. The minimal weight difference doesn’t enter into it. What the pros do in supported races isn’t relevant to the rest of us.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think what my thoughts are. Are that this topic has been discussed many times before. Nothing really changed since. People will have their fixed positions. That’s about it.

The idea though, that no one ever needs to adjust rim brakes, or that disc brake users are constantly adjusting theirs. Is laughable.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I think rim wear, or lack thereof, is perhaps the real advantage of hydros.

Having said that, like their car driving brethren, too many riders don't know how to brake properly and 'comfort brake' at every opportunity, so just learning to ride properly can negate much of that disadvantage.

The oldest bike i own in regular use is 38 years old, and the Wolber rims are far from being seriously worn, which shows how narrow the advantage can be with a skilled rider.
The first ebike I had was disk in the front rim on the rear the disk gave me no end of problems it got distorted rim for me if that is possible on new ebikes .

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I think what my thoughts are. Are that this topic has been discussed many times before. Nothing really changed since. People will have their fixed positions. That’s about it.

The idea though, that no one ever needs to adjust rim brakes, or that disc brake users are constantly adjusting theirs. Is laughable.
I wasn't laughing adjusting mine it was a pain .

OP
OP
B

Biker man

yeh but single speed penny farthings done go that fast, to need hydros :whistle::whistle: :okay:
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Cymro

Alex321

Veteran
The first ebike I had was disk in the front rim on the rear the disk gave me no end of problems it got distorted rim for me if that is possible on new ebikes .
A disk brake should never cause a distorted rim. It has no contact with the rim, or the spokes.

That sounds like the wheel wasn't properly trued initially - which could also explain some of the issues you had that needed frequent adjustment of the disk brake.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think the fact that only one of the world tour teams are still normally using rim brakes says a lot about the weight/efficiency trade off.
says a lot more about manufacturer's sponsorship commercial terms to be honest. And it has let to "whole bike change" for a puncture, rather than a quick wheel change. The neutral service bike is almost redundant rather than being a saviour in breakaways and narrow mountain stages.

I'd like to have the choice, and the big brands are pushing everything towards discs, and some cheap disc brakes are awful, hard to set up and less powerful than rim brakes.

On a summer road bike for leisure use the rim wear isn't an issue and rim brakes look much nicer

Wet weather and/ or commuting thru towns when on and off the brakes a lot then good discs may have a slight advantage

Off road disciplines, especially in wet weather then good discs definitely have the edge

All very true.

I'll also add that a lot of ebikes are kitted out with some pretty rubbish kit as the target market are inexperienced cyclists who don't know what is good or bad, and the manufacturers need to trim the cost somewhere to hit a target price point

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Biker man

A disk brake should never cause a distorted rim. It has no contact with the rim, or the spokes.

That sounds like the wheel wasn't properly trued initially - which could also explain some of the issues you had that needed frequent adjustment of the disk brake.
Sorry I didn't explain clear the disk got distorted it was a cheap model maybe more expensive ones are better .

Alex321

Veteran
Sorry I didn't explain clear the disk got distorted it was a cheap model maybe more expensive ones are better .
That makes more sense :smile:

Yes, could possibly have been too small a rotor for the levels of stress put on it, if it was a fairly heavy e-bike. Or just cheap, poor quality material.

Alex321

Veteran
says a lot more about manufacturer's sponsorship commercial terms to be honest. And it has let to "whole bike change" for a puncture, rather than a quick wheel change. The neutral service bike is almost redundant rather than being a saviour in breakaways and narrow mountain stages.
I'm not convinced it is about sponsorship. The manufacturers sponsoring the bikes all make both disk brake and rim brake versions of their high level bikes.

I'd like to have the choice, and the big brands are pushing everything towards discs, and some cheap disc brakes are awful, hard to set up and less powerful than rim brakes.
Well cheap rim brakes can be even worse.

I'll admit, I have never actually ridden a modern road bike with good rim brakes.

On a summer road bike for leisure use the rim wear isn't an issue and rim brakes look much nicer
What "looks nicer" is rather down to personal taste.

Wet weather and/ or commuting thru towns when on and off the brakes a lot then good discs may have a slight advantage

Off road disciplines, especially in wet weather then good discs definitely have the edge

Here in South Wales, wet weather is rather common :smile: And quite a lot of hills, so I do use the brakes a fair amount.

I definitely find the hydraulic disc brakes I had on my last hybrid (Boardman MX Sport with Tektro Auriga brakes) and my new Cube road bike (shimano 105 disc brakes) to be far better in all conditions than any rim brakes I have personally experienced. But the last bike I rode regularly with rim brakes was probably 25 years ago now, I am sure a lot has changed since then.

All very true.

I'll also add that a lot of ebikes are kitted out with some pretty rubbish kit as the target market are inexperienced cyclists who don't know what is good or bad, and the manufacturers need to trim the cost somewhere to hit a target price point

Very true. I suspect that is more the cause of Biker Man's problems than the fact it was a disc brake. Having disk on one wheel and rim on the other also definitely points to cost cutting.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

That makes more sense :smile:

Yes, could possibly have been too small a rotor for the levels of stress put on it, if it was a fairly heavy e-bike. Or just cheap, poor quality material.
Cheap that was riding it in Huddersfield and North Wales lesson learnt buy cheap buy twice.

Top Bottom