Disk brakes verses rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
But the last bike I rode regularly with rim brakes was probably 25 years ago now, I am sure a lot has changed since then.
rather puts some comments in context then:okay: :laugh:

I have / have had / hired a variety of bikes from those with 40 yr old centre pull calipers, modern ultegra road calipers, stuff in between, old and modern canti's, v brakes, to cable disc both bad & good and hydro discs; on various road, MTB, gravel, folding, tandem etc bikes....

The manufacturers sponsoring the bikes all make both disk brake and rim brake versions of their high level bikes.
true-ish. All the investment now is going into disc brake group sets and disc specific models, so they would rather sell them. Its easier to sell a new bike to someone with a perfectly good 5 yr old carbon frame, if you can sell them a similar frame but designed for disc, as its a different n+1.

Drago

Legendary Member
The first ebike I had was disk in the front rim on the rear the disk gave me no end of problems it got distorted rim for me if that is possible on new ebikes .
A correlation of 1:1 :blink:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A disk brake should never cause a distorted rim. It has no contact with the rim, or the spokes.

That sounds like the wheel wasn't properly trued initially - which could also explain some of the issues you had that needed frequent adjustment of the disk brake.

A cheap & crap rim/wheel build causes that, nothing else. Or hitting a pot hole.

Alex321

Veteran
rather puts some comments in context then:okay: :laugh:

Agreed.

I don't really have the opportunity to try a modern road bike with good rim brakes though.

true-ish. All the investment now is going into disc brake group sets and disc specific models, so they would rather sell them. Its easier to sell a new bike to someone with a perfectly good 5 yr old carbon frame, if you can sell them a similar frame but designed for disc, as its a different n+1.

This is a bit chicken-and-egg though. Are they putting most of the development effort into rim brakes to push consumers that way, or are they doing it because that is what consumers want (and so sells better).

I think it is probably a bit of both.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Agreed.

I don't really have the opportunity to try a modern road bike with good rim brakes though.

My three road bikes were all rim, two were single pivot, but incredibly powerful (Dura Ace and Shimano 600 - not yer cheap rubbish ;)). My commuter was Shimano BR530 dual pivot, and I could still lift the back end with two heavy panniers on.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

A correlation of 1:1 :blink:
It seemed to work ok no problems with that just the disk no matter how much I adjusted them they didn't last long bit of a faf to put new pads but easy to fit blokes maybe I am a bit old fashioned.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm too sexy for discs, too sexy for discs....

Me too

1631618793636.jpeg

Discs are fugly.

(And heavy, expensive, complicated and entirely superfluous on a road bike for day rides. Commuters have a case. MTBs a stronger case, perhaps, though even there my 90s V brakes never gave me a moment of worry.)

Chief Broom

Veteran
Ive just bought a bike with rim brakes [Dawes disco 201] as i like there simplicity and where i live [highlands] its pretty relaxed and unlikely im going to need the extra stopping power like if i lived in town and had many more hazards to avoid. All my motorbikes had disk brakes so am used to maintaining them but feel its overkill for my situation. I dont like the thought of them dragging and slowing forward progress or getting gummed up in winter or a maritime environment. Then at some point they will be expensive to replace or fix....so give me retro rim brakes but not the squeals!

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Me too

View attachment 609094

Discs are fugly.

(And heavy, expensive, complicated and entirely superfluous on a road bike for day rides. Commuters have a case. MTBs a stronger case, perhaps, though even there my 90s V brakes never gave me a moment of worry.)

If by "day rides" you mean "dry rides", then true.

I ride in all weathers (except serious ice), and the disc brakes work just as well in a downpour as in the dry. I will also be commuting when back in the office, but other than the fact that you don't have much choice about not going in the wet when commuting, I'm not sure what difference that makes.

I don't think they are really any more "complicated" than dual pivot calliper brakes, though they are certainly more so than something like V brakes. Agreed that they are certainly more expensive though. And weigh a little more, though not enough for most of us to notice.

keithmac

Guru
Mine was 8,000 commuting miles before the rear rim got worn down to no wear groove territory.

I road it through all weathers so no complaints, might re-rim it in winter when I've got some time to concentrate.

roubaixtuesday

If by "day rides" you mean "dry rides", then true.

I ride in all weathers (except serious ice), and the disc brakes work just as well in a downpour as in the dry. I will also be commuting when back in the office, but other than the fact that you don't have much choice about not going in the wet when commuting, I'm not sure what difference that makes.

I don't think they are really any more "complicated" than dual pivot calliper brakes, though they are certainly more so than something like V brakes. Agreed that they are certainly more expensive though. And weigh a little more, though not enough for most of us to notice.

Unless you're proper hard core, most people are far more likely to ride in the wet commuting than for leisure. Roads are permanently wet through winter, and the roads I ride often muddy too.

I've never worn out rims on a bike mainly used for leisure. Pre covid I commuted 10 undulating miles each way every day through winter and that wears through rims and drivetrains far faster than leisure rides. Typically maybe 5-10,000 miles IME. My commuting bike has rims, and stopping power is easily good enough to lock the wheels - so no increased "stopping power" from disks. But less maintenance - yes, somewhat. Replacing a disc is much easier than a rim.

keithmac

Guru
I've been looking at rear disk conversions for my new hubbed Gtech but they look sketchy to say the least and not worth the risk.

I suppose only other option would be to have a caliper mount welded on but that's probably more work than stripping the wheel down for a new rim every 8,000 miles..

Alex321

Veteran
Unless you're proper hard core, most people are far more likely to ride in the wet commuting than for leisure. Roads are permanently wet through winter, and the roads I ride often muddy too.

Maybe I'm "proper hard core" then :rolleyes:

I don't ride as far as most hard core cyclists, but I do get out almost every day after work (not Thursdays because another hobby is Morris Dancing and that is the evening we practice(winter)/dance out(summer)), riding for 40-70 minutes (10-20 miles), pretty well regardless of the weather.

My main purpose in getting back to cycling last year was for exercise, rather than pure leisure, and you need to do it reasonably consistently for that to be effective (and I don't have a turbo trainer).

But yes, I agree, I see far fewer other cyclists out on wet days than I do on dry days.

roubaixtuesday

riding for 40-70 minutes (10-20 miles), pretty well regardless of the weather.

If this applies throughout the winter, then yes, you're properly badass hardcore!

And in a bracket where discs are probably worthwhile IME.

For my roadie bike, which only ventures out when forecast dry (I have another bike for wet, with mudguards), they're an irrelevance at best.

All just IME.

Top Bottom