Disk brakes verses rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
To counter that. You have to set the caliper up once, pads can be changed in under a couple of minutes by removing 1 pin and they don't usually squeal. All for very little weight penalty :okay:
thanks, as pointed out up thread, I do have a couple of bikes with discs.....

Jody

Stubborn git
thanks, as pointed out up thread, I do have a couple of bikes with discs.....

Apologies as I missed that. You'll know how easy, reliable and hassle free they are normally are ;)

Expensive and fugly (on a road bike) is a fair comment.

Jody

Stubborn git
I do find changing pads a lot less faff than changing brake blocks. 3+ years using hydraulic discs on my Orbea Gain without problems. Tip - buy the right tool to push the cylinders open when changing pads, it makes it so much easier.

You don't use a big flat blade screwdriver with a cloth over the end :whistle:

OP
OP
B

Biker man

and thats why i dont want disc's! I like to like a vehicle whether a car/motorcycle or bike and if i had a disk shod bike i would think those ****ers are going to go wrong and cost a fortune at some point as well as the hassle of getting parts. Like modern cars i dont have an affection for them because of all the high tech electrical gubbins which will fail eventually. For me its not about stopping distance's [you might disagree if you live in the city and heading for an errant driver] but living with it on a daily basis. So if anyone is aghast at my new bike not having disks i shall respond with "i know aint it great"! :laugh:
Couldn't agree with you more 🚴🚴🚴

Drago

Legendary Member
If you really want to injure your brain then nip over to Retrobikes and see what a wide latitude they give hemselves when describing something as NOS.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Rim brakes here. I sold my MTB which was the only disc-braked machine I had. Decent rim brakes will test the adhesive limits of a tyre on anything but good dry surfaces, not that I have much occasion to try.

Top Bottom