Disposable Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I've just realised the mountain bike linked to is a rigid frame with 1x6 gears. I purchased the Slant in 2012 and from memory it's an 18 speed shimano with a grip shift and has front suspension. Halford are selling the same bike in a different colour scheme for £99 (with £1 off for some reason) so over 4 years it's only gone up by a tenner.

I can't help but feel like the Ridge/Apollo range are quite good for the money, kinda like a Dacia. They're cheap and built to a budget but they do have a major brand behind them and do the basics but nothing else.

Similarly one of the LBS stock the Probike range and they seem OK for the money. If you spend £100 on a bike and get it serviced twice over two years at a cost of say £40 each time then the bike only cost £90 a year which is about 30p a day if you use it for 300/365 days.

GOAB

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Don't forget if you're a British Cycling member you'll get another 10% off, making it even more of a bargain at just £76.50! :okay:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
For £76.50 I might as well buy one and submit it to a torture test to see how well it holds up, hopefully I'd make the money back when I upload the footage to youtube.

GOAB

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I run a cheap bike locally for errands - this time it's a Raleigh Pioneer I bought for £21:

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 35
Good enough pub/ station lockup bike or short range commuter for flatlands. How is the frame alignment? Most BSOs suffer from wonky headtubes and fork legs.

tyred

Legendary Member
I run a cheap bike locally for errands - this time it's a Raleigh Pioneer I bought for £21:

s-l1600.jpg
That's a proper Raleigh, it might be getting on a bit and wasn't top of their range but it is definitely not a BSO. It's a fine bike. I have a frame for one of those - cost me 99p on Ebay.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 39

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I clicked on the link expecting much worse.... at least they haven't tried to squeeze in suspension! Why call it a mountain bike though?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Having looked at @NorthernDave 's link It looks pretty usable to be honest. Ridge is Halfords own "basics" brand if you will, it has Shimano kit on a steel frame, so it should last years. Even if it won't win any downhill cups it'll get you to work.

I've got a couple of items of "Ridge" clothing from Halfords and they're surprisingly okay. The long sleeved cycling top they do is 15 pounds, and it works.
I thought that too. By the time you have added QR skewers, you are up to a ton, but for a short commute I should think that it's just the ticket for a lot of people who just want a cheap bike.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Well I normally tell folks to stay clear of these BSO's, but to be honest I have to hand it to Halfords for putting a half decent 'bike' out there for that price. It is way better than some of the 'death trap' things I see some of the students riding.
I suspect the grip shift will fail but I'm sure an old clamp on downtube friction shifter could sort that for a couple of pounds. I'd use one as the station bike (cheaper than a good lock).
Thumbs up on this for those on a tight budget.

Top Bottom