Distance from home to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ketka82uk

11 miles each way. Office hours are 09:30 - 18:00 so I get the best of the London traffic on the way in and out. Usually takes me about 1hr 15 door to desk; 40-45 minutes actual cycling time, 10-15 minutes sitting at traffic lights or in impassable traffic queues and 15 mins to get changed (at girl speed!).

I'm pretty new to the whole London commute thing though, so I'm hoping it will get a bit quicker once I find some better shortcuts and purchase some narrower handlebars! :becool:

garrilla

garrilla said:
I will be extending my route to work to 20.6 miles from Monday

will take me a little bit more into the countryside for a more open ride and therefore fewer junctions

map link for the interested...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...-2.888632&sspn=0.136331,0.340233&ie=UTF8&z=12

did my extended route for the first time today -20.1 miles - but weather did not help... head & cross winds and rain most of the way combined with unknown approach made some parts of the route very slow and decreased my avg mph to 15.5. Will make up for this as I get to know the new bits

The good bit is that I'm now riding out traffic and on country roads for about 1/3 of the ride now, which is great for having a car(e)-free ride.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Evilcat said:
I'm very envious of those with a country lane commute!

'sfunny, I'm envious of those with urban commutes, badly driven transit's passing you with mm's to spare on a single track road at the national speed limit or above, mum's in SUV's tailgating you up the 15% hill and sounding their horns because Jocasta and Tarquin musn't be late for prep school, and angry rep's trying to arrange 120 mph head on's with the on coming traffic as they overtake you as you try to make the sole right hand major road/minor road turn of the journey... and on Friday night - the flooded road. All take the edge of rural commuting.

I miss my London bike commute sometimes

but then there are the deer crossing the road in the early morning, and the mist off the ponds, and the nice village people who always let me go first at the crossroads, and the pedalling downhill near 40mph descents on empty roads, and the wicked scarey gravel strewn downhill s-bends in the forestry, and the other cyclists who nod and wave, and the pub at the top of the last climb where I sometimes stop for a juice and soda on a Friday, and those mornings when it all just comes together and you get to work wanting to carry on riding all day. xx(

garrilla

GrumpyGreg said:
what are you feeding the crows up there? crack cocaine?

Magnets and LSD :thumbsup:

MD called me over at the end of day just as I was leaving. I had a complaint in work today about being in Lycra. The 5 minutes it takes while I calm down before showering is apparently making some of the lardies feel a little disgusted (not sure if this is at my sweaty presence or their impending organ collapse).

Apparently, I'm doing it to wind them up.:sad:

I will be tommorow, last 1.5 miles will be at TT pace and then I will take the bike up the stairs CC style.:laugh: I hope one of them has the decency to call me an ambulance.

pinkkaz

Veteran
Takes about 45 minutes to do 9 miles across London, including 35 sets of traffic lights, lots of zebra crossings, and cycling behind slow people on cycle lanes!

Leave the house at 8.30 - if I managed to get up earlier it would probably be a nicer ride but I have trouble getting out of bed!

robjh

Legendary Member
24 miles each way. It takes me generally 1h20 to 1h25 but can vary from 1h15 to 1h35 in strong winds in one or other direction. It's about 2/3 cross country, 1/3 in town, which is always the slower bit.
I start work at 8.15, and to be there and have a shower etc I try to set off before 6.30. It's always at this time so that makes no difference.

Unfortunately I find getting up at this time no fun, especially on cold wet dark mornings, so my cycle commutes come mainly in the warmer dryer lighter months, but got nearly 30 return rides in last year.

d_ster54

Balham to near Victoria Station - about 5ish miles..takes about 25/30 minutes, because I'm not that fast and generally like to take it quite easy.

Flexible working hours, so I can get in when I like (within reason), but the later I'm in, the later I have to leave. Usually leave the flat at 8-30 in the morning to be in by about 9, and at my desk working after shower and coffee at 9-15.

Slightly quicker than the underground or the train, and which would also cost about £100 a month for a season ticket.

If I've actually managed to get out of bed early, I might put an extra mile or two on by cycling through and around Battersea Park, stopping off for a cake and coffee on the way.

D4v0

I do 28 miles a day on a very hilly commute from hampshire to surrey. usually takes me an hour one way and most of it is very busy country roads. I usually leave about 7:30 to get in for 8:30ish.

Potter

Only about 1.5 miles each way I'm afraid! However I do it every working day without fail. Being in Germany I also do it the local way and wear my work clothes, but I'm not sweaty over that distance. The unbelievable thing is that there are at least 3 colleagues of mine who travel a similar distance in their steel boxes - it only takes 15 minutes to walk it!...

I only have a 6½ mile commute mainly in the countryside, with only 5 junctions/traffic lights on the route.

However, I like to wind them up at work, when they complain about heavy traffic adding an extra 20 minutes or more to their journey, as a lot of traffic means I have to slow down a bit and filter down the middle of the road a bit more which makes my journey time 23 minutes, rather than the usual 22 minutes. :biggrin:

GinsbergBeard

Depends how I am feeling, but my commute can be anything from 8 miles (most direct route) to 20 miles (around the houses), but generally I like my 12 mile route (each way), a few rolling hills, as I live in Devon. I start work any time from 7.30am onwards, so after faffing around, my 12 mile route can take 35/40 mins, depending on the weather.

Top Bottom