Distance from home to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Leave around 7am ish and get into work at 7.37am. It's 6.5 miles - Actual riding time is about 35 mins. The other 2 minutes are swallowed up by Traffic, Traffic lights and carrying my bike from the front door at work to it's cupboard.

I found though leaving at 8am it still was 35 mins riding time but 5 mins not moving due to increased traffic.

I've been doin a 4.7 miles (80% cycle path route ) all week leaving at about 7:55-08:00 and getting in at about 8:15-8:20. I think today was my fastest commute of the week moving speedwise but I was stopped at every traffic light :rolleyes:

AdamBlade

I leave the house about 7:20 for a 6 mile commute. Get to work, shower and changed and at my desk before 8. Usually take me about 23-25 mins in the morning and 35 mins on the way home (uphill).

Downward

Guru
GrumpyGreg said:
are you a born again cyclist or is this the first time around? I am now totally in awe!

Indeed - Checking my Car Computer and I only manage to average 18mph, Still suppose it's all about your commute, most of us have hills, traffic lights and traffic to contend with.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Set off at 6am to do just short of 10 miles to work. Takes between 30 - 35 mins depending on the wind direction & strength ! Leisurely shower, then dressed and at my desk between 6.50 - 6.55.

No need to come in that early, but I like the quiet roads in th morning and the chance to concentrate on work before everyone else arrives and the interruptions start.

Same route home at around 4.00 - 4.15, same time to do it.

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
MacBludgeon said:
20.1 miles, I allow 2 hours for ride and shower and change(fastest ride time is 1hr20mins so far), best times to leave are before 0630 or after 0900. Worst time is leaving about 0730-0800, hit lots of school run traffic, find that worse than any other.

nice one, if i ever saw you i would shake your hand. i only do 12.5 miles each way 5 days a week and have a crazy hill climp to do about half way through my commute; the joys of working in Dover and i'm cream crackered most nights [although i do work in a bisy retail shop]

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Goffins said:
There are some pretty crazy commutes on here, I wouldn't dream of doing more than 10 miles each way and that would be pushing it.

you get used to it, also in my case the fact that its along country lanes for 90% of the time makes a huge difference.

bonj2

when i cycle in (28 miles) normally leave house at 7, faff around in garage for 10 mins, set off at 7:10, get there by normally 8:50/8:55 ish, changed by 9.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have three different commuting routes. My normal road routes are 9 and 18 miles. The shorter one will take me between 25 and 35 minutes depending on which way the wind is blowing and how much I am pushing it, the longer one (which i do once twice a week in the summer) 45 minutes to just over an hour. I have a 5-minute shower when I get into work - having a shower is why I can treat it like a training run or a TT if I want. I also have another 10 mile route which I use to go home when I am on the Brompton (if for some reason I've got the metro in the morning)...

yendrek3

18 miles to Central London

Hi all,

I do 18 miles to the central london ( each way) and takes me only 50 minutes. Not being lazy but I ride an electric bike. Bought Oxygen Emate that is approx 40miles range. It's nice to cycle for long and not have a sweated clothing. If anyone interested in electric bike I recommend www.electricbikeshed.co.uk

And to all the rest of you who use traditional bicycles, wish you all the best and friendly bus drivers
:laugh:

Goffins

PatrickPending said:
you get used to it, also in my case the fact that its along country lanes for 90% of the time makes a huge difference.

I'm still in awe no matter how much you play it down:becool:

With all the overtime I've got at the moment I commute 6 days and a total of 72 miles per week and come Sunday I don't even want to look at the bike or anything of a pedal'esque nature:blush:

Evilcat

10 miles each way (Chiswick to Shoreditch) but different routes in and back. Up at 5:45, leave the house at 6:30, in the office just after 7:00. Catch up on emails while cooling down, shower and make the next person in a spot of tea by 8:00. I've never been in later: just don't fancy Piccadilly Square after 7am!

On the way back I get changed at 6pm, on the road by 6:15 and back home just after 7. Return route is down Euston Road / Marylebone Road / Notting Hill unless there has been a crash or I get too fed up with the RLJers, in which case I'll do the back doubles. I'm very envious of those with a country lane commute!

EC

Cubist

Still wavin'
I cheat I'm afraid. I take the car to one station, then ride in 7 miles to the one I work at. My routine is leave the house at 6.45, and I'm usually on the bike by 7.05 or so. My commute is 60% on Sustrans Greenways, so I'm not really affected by traffic. I'm usually get to work and sluice down or shower depending on whether I pushed it or not, and am changed and ready to start by 7.55. The total distance from my house to work is 14.5 miles, only trouble is that the last 7.5miles are uphill on the way home, with a total height gain of 928 feet for only 187 descent, so little or no respite. I'll do it one day, I keep promising myself..........:angry:

Top Bottom