Distance from home to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neslon

Between 9 miles (min) and up to 30 miles, depending on how light/warm/windy it is. I usually leave at 0630 for an 0830 start, but I always like to get in early to get some work done before the distractions get there. This week I've been doing 20km each way almost entirely off-road on my new cyclescheme MTB :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm about 33 miles away.

I do two miles to the train station, then 11 miles to work, with that trip reversed in the evening. One day, if we get a nice summer, I plan to ride the whole way back.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
JamesM said:
I start at 08:30, I set off at 07:15 for my 14 mile commute along the canal tow path - an hour riding, 15 minutes to get changed and in case of delays.

There are no showers at work so I just have a quick wash down in the toilets.

Going by train takes about 45 minutes, depending on connections but costs £4.55 a day.

14 miles of towpath here would take about 4 hours with motorbike gates and dopey dog walkers.

Mine is either 22 mile ride, or 5 miles to station, hour on the train and 5 miles other end.

thomas

the tank engine
I leave around 8. I'll be ready for work by about 9, after cooling down and changing...takes about 40-50 minutes to get there. It's just over 13/15 miles (I can't remember which :biggrin:).

If I leave later, I just start later and therefore finish later, so it doesn't really matter.

OP
OP
H

Hollyhillian

Nice mixture of distances ,speeds and facilities available .
I guess 12000 miles via Oz wins but I think we need proof before any awards are made.

c2c

redredrobin
my commute is a lowly 6 mile there and 6 mile back.. this week im on earlies so have been leaving at 5 12 am,getting in to work at 5 32....thats not very impressive on the face of it but consider this...... i was very very hungover this morning, it peed down all the way in, and i battled a strong headwind... and my car was outside for the driving...........:tongue:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
ta Greg, yep serious:biggrin: but the commute isn't daily yet, 3 times a week is max at moment. Moving up to 4 times a week after the next weigh in. I motivate myself with some pretty steep goals:-

full 5 day a week commute by start of August
200 miles in a day, hopefully the next Fnrttc to Whitstable will see this done
13 stone max ideally 12 stone, so 70 to 84lbs weight loss by end of Aug09
do my commute in an hour or less, so 20mph+ average, by end of Aug09
1000+ miles per month from May09 to Dec09
avoid train or car to work for one full calendar year - so far haven't used either since 01/04/09 so 01/04/10 is the goal. One slip and it all resets to zero again.

a new personal one is to beat RichP up Ditchling Beacon, he'll know what i mean:biggrin: But it'd be worth the trip down just for another ride with him, whether I do it or not.

I suppose once I've done all that then I'll need to start looking at Lejog or similar.

are you a born again cyclist or is this the first time around? I am now totally in awe!

Backache

I have between 10 and eleven miles it takes me a bit less than an hour but never much less after the faff of getting things ready and so forth. Try and leave by 7.15. I'm usually afair weather commuter and need a car for work some days so maybe average 2-3 days per week summer months.

Renard

I am eight miles from work which can be easily extended into the country lanes. Unfortunately I have to drive my own car as part of my duties. I have recently started commuting on an admin or training day. I take a change of jeans and tshirt in a rucksack. Normally I have to dress smart for work. what I have noticed is when I do cycle in I feel much more energised. Work places should encourage it as it would increase productivity IMO!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GrumpyGreg said:
are you a born again cyclist or is this the first time around? I am now totally in awe!

first time around, I tend to go for something pretty hard when I get into it and I've been promising to get fit again for a while. Just have to see how many of those goals I can tick off.

Top Bottom