Distance from home to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I start at 9ish, but like to get in earlier. I leave about about 8:00, and my 6.5 downhill miles takes me between 20 and 25 mins in the morning. My uphill miles in the evening takes much, much longer! (45, sometimes 50 minutes, depending on the wind - plus it's actually 7.5 miles on the way back because I go a different way, missing a road which is horrible to cycle on slowly!).

D

Deleted member 1258

:smile: Start work at 7:00, leave home about 6:20, 6 miles across Coventry, clock in about 6:45 and go for a brew.

grhm

Veteran
I start anywhere between 8.30 and 9.30. If late my commute is a 3mile, 10-15min dash, if I'm running early, it has been known to be ~15mile, hour long detour.

Work is very close to a school, so that can get busy and is why my short dash varies from 10-15 minutes.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
just short of 24 miles each way for me, Leave at 5.30 in work just before 7 leave at 5 back by 6.30 - although the weather (particularly the wind) can make a big difference

Jake

hmmm er no idea of the distance. Brixton to Angel. A lot depends on traffic and wind and lights. So anywhere between 20-25mins.

oh yes and the time, i dont start till 11 so leave around 10.20 / 10.30

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
13 miles, 1 set of lights (which I go through twice! and never ever RLJ)10 miles on unlit country lanes with 800 ft of climbing and 800 ft of descending.

If I flog myself it takes an hour, if I go steady it takes an hour. Still can't fathom that. If I go on my MTB it takes longer than on the tourer and when I borrowed a mates fast road bike it was quicker but I think I pushed myself harder on that.

Used to leave at 06:45 - 07:00 but have found that by leaving at 08:15 journey time is unaffected but the bar stewards in tin boxes at that time are driving more cautiously because of higher traffic levels, I guess, so their overtaking speeds feel slower. Downside is they overtake much closer though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
20.1 miles, I allow 2 hours for ride and shower and change(fastest ride time is 1hr20mins so far), best times to leave are before 0630 or after 0900. Worst time is leaving about 0730-0800, hit lots of school run traffic, find that worse than any other.

20 miles! you are really serious about this cycling and weight loss lark aren't you! in fact you are an inspiration. Keep it up.

fido

Veteran
About 13 miles. I only allow 45 minutes as I do sweaty dirty work and don't see the point in showering/changing (the old 'shower in a can' will do). Usually allows enough time for a quick fag and coffee.

nigelnorris

Exactly 4 miles. Takes me 15 mins or 20 if it's windy. I leave at 7.30 to arrive 7.45, then it takes 15 mins for my metabolism to slow down enought so I can put a shirt and tie on without just sweating straight through them.

Leaving later in the morning adds another 5 mins because of school runs etc.

tonka

7.5 miles each way through London usually takes 30 minutes, showers at work. I dont have a set start time but like to be at my desk by 9:30-10:00.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Orpington to Greenwich
Quick route,
A21 Bromley, Catford, lewisham, 13.5 miles door to door, leave at 8.15am
Longer route,
Petts Wood, Bickley, Bromley, Catford, lewisham, Rotherhithe, Surry Quays, Greenwich 21 miles door to door, leave at 7.45am

My work start time is flexi between 9am-10am

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I start at 7 am so try to be changed and in the work area before then .

10 and a little bit miles in 35 minutes + change time means i leave the house for 6.10 am.

And i dont bother having a shower either when i get there as within 15 mins i will be sweating anyway as i work in a place where we have industrial robots welding all day and i am lumping stuff about anyway

Breedon

Legendary Member
Im currntley doing 10 miles(one way) i leave at 6.00am and im there about 6.50 depending on weather, leaves me enough time to change and a drink of tea or two (building trade you see) and start at 7.30

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GrumpyGreg said:
20 miles! you are really serious about this cycling and weight loss lark aren't you! in fact you are an inspiration. Keep it up.

ta Greg, yep serious:biggrin: but the commute isn't daily yet, 3 times a week is max at moment. Moving up to 4 times a week after the next weigh in. I motivate myself with some pretty steep goals:-

full 5 day a week commute by start of August
200 miles in a day, hopefully the next Fnrttc to Whitstable will see this done
13 stone max ideally 12 stone, so 70 to 84lbs weight loss by end of Aug09
do my commute in an hour or less, so 20mph+ average, by end of Aug09
1000+ miles per month from May09 to Dec09
avoid train or car to work for one full calendar year - so far haven't used either since 01/04/09 so 01/04/10 is the goal. One slip and it all resets to zero again.

a new personal one is to beat RichP up Ditchling Beacon, he'll know what i mean:biggrin: But it'd be worth the trip down just for another ride with him, whether I do it or not.

I suppose once I've done all that then I'll need to start looking at Lejog or similar.

Top Bottom