Ditchling Beacon Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I thought I'd try this to see if it's of any interest as it's an iconic climb and one that many know through the L2B. The start is from the junction of Underhill Lane at the bottom and the top is the very large rock on the left.

For what it's worth my best time this summer was 7.05 but I've managed a lot slower aswell!

If it receives regular updates from contributors I'll bump it from time to time - if not I'll let it lapse.

bonj2

That's not bad rich, you only need to shave those extra five minutes off and you'll be under seven.

ba-dooom!:blush:

Bigtallfatbloke

I was down that way last week. The downs look like a nightmare to me...lot's of long drags and stuff...and that wasnt even ditchling!

LOGAN 5

Got up there in 8.30minutes (timed between car park at bottom to the one at the top) after a 30 mile ride on Sunday.

For me the hardest hill in the area is Borstal Road going up over the Downs from Steyning towards Sompting.

Tynan

Veteran
did it take that long?

I remember it being hellish, creeping along in the full granny combination, yet it seemed to go by quickly, the last bend where it levels out to the peak would have done for me if it had steepened again

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
LOGAN 5 said:
Got up there in 8.30minutes (timed between car park at bottom to the one at the top) after a 30 mile ride on Sunday.

For me the hardest hill in the area is Borstal Road going up over the Downs from Steyning towards Sompting.

Yes, the Bostal is tough, steeper than DB but a flat bit in the middle. The Sussex hill climb was there and the range of times in that was 4mins to 8 mins. I have yet to try it timed but it'll be nearer the 8 for sure.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I've done it in under 5 minutes, can't remember what exactly but always did it just a couple of miles into a ride, i.e. before getting warmed up, and never in full-on hill-climb racing effort. I believe the pros did it in slightly over 4 minutes on the Wincanton Classic in 1990-91, but they weren't going flat out, and I reckon they'd do it in less than 3'30" if they were going for it. The phenomenal way Bugno rocketed up Wilson Avenue to the racecourse in Brighton in the year he won (at the end of a 130 mile race) indicates that he wouldn't have found going under three minutes impossible in the right circumstances.

I used to live very close by. Once, while trying to get some hill training for a pass-storming trip to the French Alps, I did it ten times in a row, without stopping, in an attempt to replicate the long efforts required on the Galibier, Iseran, Bonette, Izoard etc etc. On hearing this, a friend promptly went and did it eleven times - I never got around to doing twelve!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Blimey that's some going. The thought of doing it once is enough to give me the heebie jeebies.

Zoom

Über Member
There are a lot nastier ones over near Midhurst; Bexley Hill and Quell Lane to name 2, used to feature on the (now defunct) Sussex Corkers

didn't the Sussex hill climb go up another one near Storrington which stops at a car park?

I'm going to miss the club run to Shoreham via Steyning Bostal :thumbsup:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Zoom said:
There are a lot nastier ones over near Midhurst; Bexley Hill and Quell Lane to name 2, used to feature on the (now defunct) Sussex Corkers

didn't the Sussex hill climb go up another one near Storrington which stops at a car park?

I'm going to miss the club run to Shoreham via Steyning Bostal :smile:

AFAIK, it also goes up Mill Hill from Shoreham which is longer but not too steep.

simonali

Guru
I remember, when I was as thin as a racing snake, I used to ride up there on a 44x17 gear doing the LTB and that was weaving through all the peeps walking. Think I'd have to walk up myself now! :smile:

Zoom

Über Member
rich p said:
AFAIK, it also goes up Mill Hill from Shoreham which is longer but not too steep.

don't know that one (unless it's the one up to Truliegh Hill; edit; yes it is, only know the bit on the SDW) mind you there's Sussex and Sussex when it comes to TT's (SCA, ESCA, SCCU)

just noticed your Ardechoise jersey; doing it this year? I am for the 2nd time.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Zoom said:
don't know that one (unless it's the one up to Truliegh Hill; edit; yes it is, only know the bit on the SDW) mind you there's Sussex and Sussex when it comes to TT's (SCA, ESCA, SCCU)

just noticed your Ardechoise jersey; doing it this year? I am for the 2nd time.

Not this year. I've done it twice so by way of a change last year I and 2 friends went and did Alpe d'Huez and this year we're doing Mont Ventoux. I loved the Ardechoise though for scenery, support and sun. I managed to get on the local radio singing that blinking song with the bloke who wrote it!

Top Bottom