Diversity in Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As a slight aside. Why do you feel the need to promote diversity in cycling? As in what barriers to entry have you seen that you feel need to be overcome?

I can appreciate it in group activities where people might feel discriminated against or scared to be the only person of a certain age/ethnicity/religion/gender etc, then yes absolutely it needs help to become inclusive. I myself have only just got into cycling. I went on Ebay and purchased my bike, I then ordered and fitted new tyres. I now go out and ride my bike in the countryside now and then and have entered a sportive. I fail to see how variation in the personal characterisics I have listed above would restrict anybody else in this country from doing the same.

Sometimes people/communities make their own barriers, or are just not interested.

I guess the op enjoys his cycling, as do we all otherwise we wouldn't be here.

And as befits a decent human being he would like other people to be able to get all the same benefits and enjoyments out of cycling too.

He has identified that there seem to be fewer women and BAME people out on bikes, compared with the proportions of those groups of the general public, and laudably he would like to try to address that.

In part because he has daughters of his own , but i'm sure its also because as mentioned before, he is a decent human being who would like to see everyone get the chance to enjoy, what he enjoys.

Personally i'm mainly a solitary cyclist locally here in deepest Devon, and solo tourer / bike packer further afield - ( if 'bike packing' is defined as touring and wild camping)

This solitariness is mainly by choice - i love the freedom, the ability to go wherever I like under my own steam, the sense of pace (I go hiking too) the ability to get on with it if feeling speedy, or meandering along if that suits better, unexpected encounters, all that stuff.

i'd love it if everyone from whatever back ground could join in, without feeling restricted in any way.

But that isn't reflected in the demographic i see doing such things.

Some women express fear of being out in the countryside, on the roads, or camping out in the wilds by themselves.

As an aside i'm also quite involved in a small scale farmers union trying to encourage more opportunity, and better diversity within the food growing sector.

There are definitely gender and ethnicity barriers there too - i know a lot of BAME people say they don't feel so welcome in the countryside.

If we just leave things to evolve slowly and 'naturally' - almost nothing changes - its just business as usual.

I didn't used to believe in positive discrimination, and so forth, i thought everyone should just get opportunity based on merit, but over the years i realise that there are many barriers , hidden and otherwise to people of all backgrounds having the same chances , so we do need to go out of our way, sometimes, to level the playing field somewhat.

Even recognising that the playing field isn't level for everyone is a good first step.

Last edited:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
There are definitely gender and ethnicity barriers there too - i know a lot of BAME people say they don't feel so welcome in the countryside.

Hopefully just a very small number of narrow minded locals in their latter years of existance.
I would like to think that the majority of people are not like that. One of the reasons I like cycling out of town, aside from the lack of cars, is that all cyclists/joggers/dog walkers are cheery and will all say morning with a smile. I would hope that its the same greeting for anybody passing through on their bike.
But yes, I do take your point.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hopefully just a very small number of narrow minded locals in their latter years of existance.
I would like to think that the majority of people are not like that. One of the reasons I like cycling out of town, aside from the lack of cars, is that all cyclists/joggers/dog walkers are cheery and will all say morning with a smile. I would hope that its the same greeting for anybody passing through on their bike.
But yes, I do take your point.

Would that it were so.

Racism seems to run in families, and is often exacerbated by people never having met people of other ethnicities.

Plus believing the twaddle that the populist press spout about 'immigrants' and suchlike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I went through a period where a lot of people I taught to drive were of black or Asian origin. Almost without exception when they discovered I was a cyclist I got a look of incredulity and the question "Why? You have a car". The attitude is pretty much the same among my own lot, the Irish, who can't understand why an adult would ride a bike for pleasure unless they were too poor to drive or they were good enough to ride the Tour de France and earn a fortune.

I had to smile once when I was about to go on a cycling trip to France and an aunt asked me why I didn't fly instead as it didn't cost that much and I could sit in comfort. Among many cultures and races the bicycle is still regarded as something that means you are living in poverty and they can't understand why anyone would do it by choice.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I went through a period where a lot of people I taught to drive were of black or Asian origin. Almost without exception when they discovered I was a cyclist I got a look of incredulity and the question "Why? You have a car". The attitude is pretty much the same among my own lot, the Irish, who can't understand why an adult would ride a bike for pleasure unless they were too poor to drive or they were good enough to ride the Tour de France and earn a fortune.

I had to smile once when I was about to go on a cycling trip to France and an aunt asked me why I didn't fly instead as it didn't cost that much and I could sit in comfort. Among many cultures and races the bicycle is still regarded as something that means you are living in poverty and they can't understand why anyone would do it by choice.
That's very true. Down here there are a few what you might call cycling enthusiasts but if I'm out on my bike and meet some I know the first question they usually ask me is "where is your car?".

gbb

Legendary Member
To turn it on its head, is there any evidence that any ethnic groups or minorities feel it's a 'white male preserve' or feel excluded .
I still honestly think it's an eminently affordable pastime anyone who wants to, can take up. You can ride on your own if you want to, you dont need acceptance...or even anyones opinion, you just ride. Anyone has that choice already, you just go with it.

I guess what I saying is I dont feel it's a 'white male preserve'...I just dont buy it. It just happens a lot of 'white males' like cycling.

That said, no harm in trying to encourage anyone, whatever gender, race or colour they may be...into cycling.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
To turn it on its head, is there any evidence that any ethnic groups or minorities feel it's a 'white male preserve' or feel excluded .
I still honestly think it's an eminently affordable pastime anyone who wants to, can take up. You can ride on your own if you want to, you dont need acceptance...or even anyones opinion, you just ride. Anyone has that choice already, you just go with it.

I guess what I saying is I dont feel it's a 'white male preserve'...I just dont buy it. It just happens a lot of 'white males' like cycling.

That said, no harm in trying to encourage anyone, whatever gender, race or colour they may be...into cycling.

Umm, just guessing are you a white male by any chance?? .

Of course people of other ethnicities are all going to feel differently about all these topics.

Being the individuals they are, but there is evidence that many people from BAME communities, and women too, feel unwelcome, or uncomfortable, in situations that are seen as trad male and pale.

It's overly simplistic to say 'anyone can do it'

That's maybe technically true.

But exclusion works more insidiously than that.

It requires a degree of sensitivity, and empathy as to how it feels to be an outsider. to be receptive to these issues.

Otherwise we're effectively saying

"I see no problem, ergo there isn't one, maybe just get over y'selves, and get on with it"

gbb

Legendary Member

And that's the kicker, a lot of people think we're nuts tbh. Cycling, as I said and a few others too, is a very personal thing, you'll be drawn it by no one but yourself, it's just in you.
A minority trying to include more minorities is always going to be hard, lets face it, it's hard enough convincing normal 'white males'.

Respect to anyone who gets on a bike. Their sex race or colour is irrelevant to me personally.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
http://theconversation.com/the-unbearable-whiteness-of-cycling-76256

And that's the kicker, a lot of people think we're nuts tbh. Cycling, as I said and a few others too, is a very personal thing, you'll be drawn it by no one but yourself, it's just in you.
A minority trying to include more minorities is always going to be hard, lets face it, it's hard enough convincing normal 'white males'.

Respect to anyone who gets on a bike. Their sex race or colour is irrelevant to me personally.

All these things may be irrelevant to you - but i'd maintain anyone who claims 'not to see' ethnicity or gender or what have you, is in a way exercising their white - and quite possibly male privelege.

Its another way of avoiding recognising that those other groups have been, and still are disadvantaged - and it tries to claim that we are all starting from the same position - that nobody has advantage because of their gender or race - and thats palpably untrue.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Cant really see how someone is disadvantaged to the point where they feel they cant take up cycling.

In which case how come i've got a friend who runs a business solely aimed at encouraging women to take up, or to return to cycling?

If it was so simple they would just do it, no problem.

And these are women who have the wherewithawl, free time, and liberty to go on these confidence building sessions.

There will be many more who couldn't do that, for many personal reasons.

Maybe the key phrase above is "Cant really see" - thats perhaps a lack of imagination, or empathy on the part of the 'non see-er' - Have you really never felt ill at ease or lacking in confidence in certain situations, when you'd like to have a go at something thats 'technically available' , but felt inhibited, for some reason?

gbb

Legendary Member
In which case how come i've got a friend who runs a business solely aimed at encouraging women to take up, or to return to cycling?

If it was so simple they would just do it, no problem.

And these are women who have the wherewithawl, free time, and liberty to go on these confidence building sessions.

There will be many more who couldn't do that, for many personal reasons.

Maybe the key phrase above is "Cant really see" - thats perhaps a lack of imagination, or empathy on the part of the 'non see-er' - Have you really never felt ill at ease or lacking in confidence in certain situations, when you'd like to have a go at something thats 'technically available' , but felt inhibited, for some reason?
Oh yes. I find it deeply difficult communicating with people, especially those who are not prone to 'small talk', serious people. As the production team meeting attendee for my depatment, I found it...and still sometimes do, incredibly difficult. But you fight through.im 61 years old and still find some situations uncomfortable.
I took up a new career at 40 and struggled like hell for the first 6 months...but determination got me through.
I deeply detest noisy gatherings or partjes, but sometimes, you just have to do it.

You fight for what you want, sometimes the biggest battle is with yourself..,that's perhaps what shapes my opinions of others...if you truly want it, it has to come from within. No-one can make those really difficult things easy.

Dont get me wrong, if anyone out there trying to make it more inclusive...great, genuinely, I'm all for it....but my opinion is, and always will be, if you want something...fight for it yourself, it then has greater meaning.

united4ever

Über Member
Do you think some second generation Asian families may look down on cycling? I read in China people are abandoning bicycles for cars as a status symbol. Maybe some of those values are passed onto their kids even if they were born and grew up here?

Top Bottom