DIY advice... soldering copper pipes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you want the industrial look then this is fine.Ive done this before myself for a bay window.But as you'll hardly notice when the pole is up I'd go for doing it in one piece.Get a spring(bender) I'd guess less than a fiver (toolstation or screwfix) and bend with your knee.The curtain will run smoother as well.
As far as i can tell, 22mm pipe comes in 2m or 3m lengths, and the pole is 3.8 meters in total with four corners... I think I'm more likely to get it right using joints rather than bending it.

Adam4868

Guru
As far as i can tell, 22mm pipe comes in 2m or 3m lengths, and the pole is 3.8 meters in total with four corners... I think I'm more likely to get it right using joints rather than bending it.
Yea I know what you mean.I joined it in the centre,so the join was invisible by the bracket.But either yours or mine would be fine.
Sorry meant mine would be far superior !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Rethink this project. It is wrong on so many ways. It may look cute in the centrefold of Caveman Home Hacks but it is impractical. Copper is too flexible for curtains, it will need plenty of brackets. Soldering without skill so that the solder doesn't protrude beyond the socket is an art, copper tarnishes, rings don't slide/glide over it, the joints will irritate you each time you use the curtains and I'll never have the opportunity to tell you that I told you so. Steampunk is only steampunk if it is done to excess. One little curtain rail in the corner of a bedroom ain't gonna make you a leather-and-brass hard-ass steampunker.

Go to a curtain shop, get proper rails and do it like it is supposed to be. And yes, get copious curtain, at least double as uncle Globalti said, because if you don't, you'll look like a pauper, wannabe half-baked steampunker too old for that shoot.

Don't agree with all of that. We have copper plumbing pipe in a walk in wardrobe and there are a lot of clothes hanging - suits and so on not a couple of shirts so it should be strong enough. That said, I ended up gritting my teeth and paying what seemed like a lot of dosh for the curtain shop to supply and fit steel pipes.

Inclined to agree that curtain rings won't easily slide over the joins though. Bending to fit might be a better bet.

To the OP, you may or may not be aware that can get curtain "rings" which have a split at the top to slide over brackets

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is turning into a really entertaining thread. It's the virtual equivalent of a bunch of cantankerous old farts sitting around a pub table throwing in daft suggestions and half-baked advice while poor Montyveda tries to sort out what's serious and what's just bonkers. I mean.... cleaning your curtain poles with ketchup.... fer feck's sake!

Actually, as always the only contributor who has given sound advice is Yellow Saddle, he's right because copper is too soft and sticky so even 22mm will sag and the rings won't slide cleanly.

@MontyVeda here's an offer: in the garage we've got four unwanted lengths of black steel curtain pole, two at 15 x 1820mm and two at 25 x 1600mm along with several big glass jars and tins of white plastic brackets, sliders and hooks. Somewhere weve also got plastic or steel rings for the metal poles and black metal brackets I think. They will all be going in the skip when we move house so you're welcome to them if you can collect. We are between Preston and Clitheroe.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Found them.

25mm poles, brackets and rings:

20190406_131818.jpg

15mm poles, brackets and rings:

20190406_131814.jpg

The two sets:

20190406_131832.jpg

Some plastic bits:

20190406_131756.jpg

Free to a good home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Found them.

25mm poles, brackets and rings:

View attachment 461041

15mm poles, brackets and rings:

View attachment 461042

The two sets:

View attachment 461043

Some plastic bits:

View attachment 461044

Free to a good home.
Thank but no thanks Globalti... that, along with many other types of curtain pole is exactly what i don't want. :smile:

I have considered the flexibility of the copper and do have a plan to reinforce it. I'm surprised that @Profpointy's copper pipe can hold loads of clothes... but if it does, two curtains isn't going to be a problem.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Actually, as always the only contributor who has given sound advice is Yellow Saddle ...

With respect, I totally disagree. Look at it this way...

Someone starts a thread saying they want to do something creative and would like some advice. After plenty of sound advice and alternative ideas, someone strides in with, "Don't bother, go to a shop."

If we took that sort of advice, we'd never make anything and we'd never enjoy the creative process that goes with making stuff. I'd rather get things wrong than never try in the first place :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If we took that sort of advice, we'd never make anything and we'd never enjoy the creative process that goes with making stuff. I'd rather get things wrong than never try in the first place :smile:
I agree: as long as a failed project doesn't turn out to have been really expensive, the fun is in trying.
Please, do post a few pictures when you have completed the project.

Top Bottom