Diy Auomotive Power train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4948238, member: 9609"]it would make cornering interesting.
Not so sure I would want 10 gallon of battery acid sloshing around above my head -

I guess they don't use lead acid batteries ? is it just tens of thousands of those batteries that they use in cameras and phones (the ones that sort of spontaneously combust or something)

I can't see me ever giving up on my diesel, I can't stand it when the wife is hoovering, imaginge having that going non stop for a 3 hour journey, would rather go on my bike.[/QUOTE]
Lithium Ion seems to be the way forward in this application, but chemistry is a fluid science, always changing and growing with innovation. But I will agree that some Prius do seem to sound like a vacuum cleaner when in electric mode, but I am sure that with sufficient cabin insulation, that noise can be abated within the vehicle. Just look at what could be done with internal combustion, and apply that to electric, and there would be a far easier task at hand.

Drago

Legendary Member
All we could hear in our Pious was tyre noise when running on leccy. I liked it, but Mrs D didn't so off it had to go.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I may wait a couple of years, I'm told some alternatives may be out then that will make electric cars more efficient and affordable, and the old Mitsubishi seems to be holding up well. For the last few weeks, it's mainly been sitting in the driveway, as I'm still laid up, so that won't put a lot of wear and tear on it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Prius seems to have a very distinctive whine, but I don't know if that's the motor or the driver

Top Bottom