DIY electronic groupset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

katonda

Regular
I am fairly budget conscious and enjoy tinkering with mechanisms and electronics. Has anyone successfully built their own electronic groupset by modifying something like the Shimano 105 rear and front derailleur? I reckon it can be done at a fraction of the cost. I'd just like to see what others have built, so I can learn from them.

I am fairly budget conscious and enjoy tinkering with mechanisms and electronics. Has anyone successfully built their own electronic groupset by modifying something like the Shimano 105 rear and front derailleur? I reckon it can be done at a fraction of the cost. I'd just like to see what others have built, so I can learn from them.
The theory isn’t that difficult. Getting the parts you’d need, in terms of weight and size of the motors and housings is where you’d struggle.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I guess it depends on what you want out of it.. I've thought similar about about other DIY-hobby projects; I suppose the answer lies in what you hope / expect to achieve.

If you'd be happy with simply making something that functions it's probably achieveable. If you want to make something that rivals the commercially-available options in use and is genuinely viable for daily use in terms of reliability / packaging / aesthetics etc, I think you'll struggle tbh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom