DIY Internal Bike Carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

So i've just made a simple internal bike carrier which is basically a length of timber with a fork mount bolted to it (http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Bike-...yS_d4qPd4dsrQfOajiTvYYXwpXN459lXDhoCLSXw_wcB#) although unfortunately due to the mount being slightly more bulky than pictured on the website when bolted to the length of timber the head height is compromised and getting the bike out of the mount is difficult.

I had planned to simply secure the timber to the boot floor in a fixed position and have done. To make it work now though i need to come up with a way of fixing the timber to the boot floor but also be able to quickly release the timber from the boot floor so i can slide the timber towards the tail gate to give me the head height to get the bike out (i cannot just fix the timber at this point as the tail gate wouldn't close because of the handle bars) of the boot to make removing the bike from the mount easy. Has any of you fine folk done this or have any idea how i could achieve this?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fix a couple of these 1 either side of the timber the screw them to the floor.

http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...d-roller-runners-white/?utm_source=GoogleBase

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use a similar set up in the back of a Peugeot 5008. In my case I use an old roof-bar fork clamp attached to an old roof bar with short pieces of tubing clamped at right angles near the ends of the roof bar so as to keep the bar and clamp upright. There is just about enough height in the boot to let me lift the forks out of the clamp. I then swing the bar assembly out of the way so as to pull the bike out. Short answer - screw cross pieces near the ends of the timber.

gasinayr

Über Member
Why not use a sheet of 1/2" plywood and fix bracket onto it. slide it out slightly to fit bike and slide in to place to close hatchback.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

why not just put the bike in the boot?

Thats the current solution but it means i need to put all the back seats down, which is ok but when i have passengers i need to carry the bike upright so i don't have to put all the seats down.

Why not use a sheet of 1/2" plywood and fix bracket onto it. slide it out slightly to fit bike and slide in to place to close hatchback.

Thats not a bad idea may be able to make false floor and fix the bracket to it and then cover in carpet which may look neater than a length of timber on some type of runner in the boot. Also would be easier to fit.

Top Bottom