DIY painting question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELL

Über Member
Good morning all, I was hoping for a little advice/help.

I have just had the hot water tank removed from under our stairs and knocked through a plasterboard wall to made it bigger.

I now have a mix of painted plaster at the front and bare wood and brick at the back. I want to paint it all under there white.

Can I just use emulsion on it all or will I need to prime the wood and use masonry paint on the bricks?

Just trying to keep it as cheap as poss but want a good job.

Thanks

AndyRM

XOXO
I think you've answered your own question!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It depends on the standard of finish you want.
For a cupboard under the stairs that no one will see, i would just slap some emulsion to make it look neat. But i am sure someone who is more of a perfectioist than me would do the job properly.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Wood needs priming to seal it . It will just bleed through emulsion and look dirty .
Under the stairs wood is the worst for this as it comes from the under the stairs tree and thats a known dirty tree .

kiwifruit

Über Member
I wouldn't put PVA on it, it leave a shining surface and the paint won't stick to it properly and start peeling off. If you just want to refreshed it, and nobody going to see under the cupboard either emulsion or masonry will work, but the paint will soak into the brick work quite a bit. You will need a extra coat or 2.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Get a man in.

You'll have to anyway after you've f*cked it up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wood needs priming to seal it . It will just bleed through emulsion and look dirty .
Under the stairs wood is the worst for this as it comes from the under the stairs tree and thats a known dirty tree .

Under the stairs wood eh - hmm the builder that built our house used some of that stuff where he shouldn't !! :blush:

Top Bottom