DIY Work stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

the cheap prop stand I bought has had its last day, its also had a good lot of verbal abuse from me within the last 20 mins after fettling my work horse when using said stand the weld on one of the legs decided to snap while I was spinning the back wheel causing the stand to go into the wheel and snapping a spoke, well at least the bikes a little lighter for now, but grrr

anyway... my question is, I have some scaffold tube (previous owner of house buried it in the ground when laying electrics to a shed which no longer exists) so as its currently sat at the top of the garden looking as good as a scaffold tube can I'm beginning to think I should either give it to the local scrap man or make us of it and my a work stand from it, I know it can be done ( I have the power of google) but was just wondering if any of you have done such a thing or if you have any ideas / suggestions on the plan

(yes I'm fully aware shops sell work stands but if I can have "fun" making my own then why not)

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Scaffold poles are heavy, you'd need some decent drill bits and bolts.
Can you not bodge your current stand?
Pictures would help :smile:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I love doing my own stuff too, though it has to be said, sometimes you have to recognize when you are better off just biting the bullet and buying one.....

I seem to recall scaffolding tubes are pretty heavy (which is good and bad), and I assume if you made most of the stand, one of the downsides would be I'd guess it would be unlikely to be folding or easily transportable. If you have a nice large work area to work in and don't have to take the stand with you, maybe that's not an issue. However, if you have limited space or time and need your stand to be transportable, I'd vote for buying a new stand or fixing your current one. Still, doing itself really does give you a nice feeling of accomplishment. Good luck!

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

Can't get pics of old as it went with the rubbish men this morning, my plans for the stand are basically an upside down L which will be fastened in place (lucky enough to have space, plus I intend to make it swing out of the way) when I find the link I'll post it, but I'm assuming nobody else so far has done this as yet

Scotchlovingcylist

If its never going to move then go for it. It'll take some cutting unless you've got an angle grinder or such. How are you planning to fasten it together?

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

If its never going to move then go for it. It'll take some cutting unless you've got an angle grinder or such. How are you planning to fasten it together?

its going to be held together via scaffold brackets and I have a hacksaw lol didn't take that long to cut it in half when I was considering throwing it (long enough for the missus to make a coffee mind you)

Scotchlovingcylist

Fairysnuff, I say go for it! Cheap cheerful and strong

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Should be simple enough if you have the appropriate brackets.
Below is a picture of a tilter I made for a car I am restoring. - But this was welded using central heating piping and not scaffolding. You shouldn't need the same bracing for a bike stand.

Photo0131_zpscd1978de.jpg

Top Bottom