Dizzy after standing up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dannyg said:
Do you "warm down" properly after a hard ride? If not, this could be contributing to the dizziness

Try cycling round the block a few times at a gentle pace at the end of your ride, or I am sure there are all sorts of my formal warm down exercises you could do.

This would make sense in my case, as it happens a lot when I get in from the commute, which I treat as a bit of an interval session.

Whats the science behind it?

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I get dizzy when I get up...but it stops when I fall over.

I think that's why it happens. Your blood pressure is low, you stand up and the blood supply to your brain slows down. So, you get dizzy and fall over, thereby ensuring that the blood gets back to your brain quicker.
I can't help feeling the designers never really thought that through. What if your job involves, I don't know, repeatedly standing up suddenly in a roomful of sharp objects, or something?;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, but we didn't have rooms when the designers got to work ??

I used to get it loads when racing as a youngster, then not when not fit, but get it again now when fit again, but only occasionally if I get up too quick. I certainly don't try and walk too fast after a sleep these days, as one of my ankles won't work - i.e. bear weight, until I wiggle it for a few seconds.....

It's down to lowish blood pressure, low HR and getting up too quick.

Tynan

Veteran
been getting this from time to time, getting up quickly from a low chair

wife spotted me tonight and got a fright, so I'm going to have to see the doc tomorrow to check I don't have a tumor

will report back

peanut

I suffer from this as well and like others have to hold onto something for a few seconds and conscentrate to prevent passing out.
I believe it is caused by nothing more than having a healthy heart. When you sit or lie down your heart rate goes down as it doesn't need to do much.
In a fit person with a low resting rate the heart rate and blood pressure goes very low and when we suddenly stand up the demand on the blood flow is large but because of the low heart rate there is an immediate shortage of blood pressure hence the lack of oxygen to the head .

Sorry if this has already been suggested but I haven't time to read the whole thread. Late for work again!..:blush:

Tynan

Veteran
gp gave me a rather more thorough examination that I expected, nothing wrong and bp was fine, I checked by heart rate myself and it was 68

bless him, he mentioned two things worth ruling out, something to do with brain synapse firing and something to do with a spinal disc pushing inwards on the spine

the wife came, I thought to be reassured that it was nothing, instead we had a stern discussion about me not cycling any more until the neurologist had given me the go ahead, my recent thorough examinations from the osteopath counted for nothing it seemed, for once I pit my foot down and got to enjoy the utter chaos where the A11 joins the city, what ghastly roadworks and resultant gridlock, I have no idea how anyone is supposed to get to London Bridge now, two days on the trot now ending up going over Southwark Bridge

anyhow, making an appointment with a neurologist in one of about ten hospitals with the whizzy new online booking system the gps have and checking whether the bupa from my old job is still working or the Axa from my new one is working yet

sigh, I still think it's getting up a bit suddenly after being sat low too long

peanut

at least your quack is taking it seriously and being thorough. My quack....... well if you can walk in and walk out again and your body is still warm well then you must be ok in his book:angry:

The trouble with having blood pressure and HR tests done in a Dr's surgery is that you are not really replicating the circumstances that bring on the symptoms you are experiencing. You need to sit perfectly still resting say watching TV or dozing to get your HR right down and your breathing real shallow. Like we do when we are about to go to sleep .Then stand up ....whammo :angry:

Did your blood pressure look ok ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's getting up too quickly from complete rest - and relatively low blood pressure at rest.....don't worry..... happened a lot to me as a youngster, not so much now..... the down side of being fit...

Had my BP done recently and it was excellent - the low number was about 64 !!!! The person testing it said she could hear the slow thump of my heart before the band was tight - so cycling is great for a strong heart.

Oh..watch out if you get an ECG - had a number of tests 18 months ago through my last job's BUPA test...... the consultant said "If I didn't know better, this looks like you are about to have a heart attack"....."don't worry, exercise causes this, my husband is the same".....phew.....

yenrod

dudi said:
For a while now i've been suffering from short spells of dizziness, after standing up. quite bad ones sometimes, they affect my vision in some cases.
Have a weeks rest orso and see what the deal is after that.

It'll seem like ages but its easy to overdo it on a bike as its such an intense exercise experience for the body - inside to out.

jimboalee

Hi everyone,

Part of this problem is that you all ( and myself, I suffer dizzy spells ) have an enormous muscle mass in your legs compared with a regular bloke. ;)
Some posters are quite correct about the HR issue and the BP issue, diagnosing the heart doesn't produce the immediate pressure required when the brain is elevated quickly. :smile: Couple this with the fact the blood that is being pumped to the legs to support the 'repair process', the upper body and brain is being 'short supplied' with blood. :smile:

Immediately after a hard ride, dizziness can be caused by 'blood pooling' in the big leg muscles and the butt.

The best course of action is to see a physiotherapist.

Track time trial boys 'cool-down' on rollers after an event to redistribute the blood from their big leg muscles. ;)

Tynan

Veteran
doesn't your body just make more blood to compensate?

good info on leg muscles though, makes sense

Carwash

Señor Member
Tynan said:
doesn't your body just make more blood to compensate?

good info on leg muscles though, makes sense

It takes a surprisingly long time for the body to fabricate more blood.

Top Bottom