Dizzy after workout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I experienced a new phenomenon today at the end of my workout. While warming down I suddenly felt slightly dizzy. This led to a feeling of nausea and I had to grab a chair for a few moments. This was after I had completed a very pleasing set of exercises in which I had improved a lot from the last time. Possible that I overdid the exertion a tad. I drank some water but still feel a bit light headed an hour later.

Anyone else had this?
Post Exercise Hypotension (reduced blood pressure in the hours following exercise) is quite common. I have it and I've had it all my life. If I do a hard bike ride, sit down for a while and then stand up quickly I often feel dizzy.
YES - me too! :okay:

DRM

Guru
You said that you have also had a heart attack, one of the medications I’m on for having had the same is to reduce your blood pressure, ramipril in my case, if I was to stand up quickly l can get dizzy as I believe it takes a short while for the blood to reach the brain, I’ve not had it with exercise but I do think it’s worth getting it checked by your G.P.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Here is an update on my episode from Saturday.

On Saturday afternoon my blood pressure was 168/103. I was physically sick 4 times, until about 5 o'clock and I was experiencing a loss of balance. After 5.00 pm I felt a bit better and lost the feeling of nausea. Being sick may have helped in this regard. I went on to eat around 7.00 pm steak and chips (not very many) with no ill effects. On Sunday morning I still had some slight symptoms of balance issues but had a raging thirst and I consumed maybe a a litre or so of water over a couple of hours. I've had issues related motion sickness in the past but always felt more ill when I closed my eyes.

My blood pressure this morning was 116/63. So even better than usual and pulse was down to 39 from 78 on Saturday. I'm not 100% as being violently sick takes a while to recover from. Anyway tomorrow is my weight training day which I shall keep to. See how it goes.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Completed my weight training session with no ill effects. I made a concious effort to hydrate well. Looking back in my warm down on Saturday the last thing I do is touch my toes which puts my head down on my knees. This may have been what caused my dizziness. I don't know. Anyway all back to normal now

CXRAndy

Guru
Completed my weight training session with no ill effects. I made a concious effort to hydrate well. Looking back in my warm down on Saturday the last thing I do is touch my toes which puts my head down on my knees. This may have been what caused my dizziness. I don't know. Anyway all back to normal now

There is a condition called
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is caused by a problem in the inner ear. Tiny calcium "stones" inside your inner ear canals help you keep your balance. Normally, when you move a certain way, such as when you stand up or turn your head, these stones move around

You can dislodge these crystals from their usual position by certain movements.

I experienced a similar situation. Id been doing tip toe stretching, after a few days my dizziness occurred. It settled down after stopping and being less violent with head movements.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

There is a condition called
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is caused by a problem in the inner ear. Tiny calcium "stones" inside your inner ear canals help you keep your balance. Normally, when you move a certain way, such as when you stand up or turn your head, these stones move around

You can dislodge these crystals from their usual position by certain movements.

I experienced a similar situation. Id been doing tip toe stretching, after a few days my dizziness occurred. It settled down after stopping and being less violent with head movements.
my wife had this and she cured herself by lying on the bed with her head hanging off the edge and slowly turned herself so that the crystal would through gravity make it's way back to the inner ear. she insisted I did the same which I did. yeah it might have been that. thanks cos I'm ok now

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you get dizzy when standing up after hard exercise, it's the non-return valves in your legs leaking. They get less effective with age. My systolic bp is about 15 points lower the evening after a reasonable ride and this is enough to show up those valves.

Wobbling

Regular
Go to the doctor never ask for medical advice on a forum dont train until you've seen a doctor follow his advice

Mattk50

MattK50
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but it seemed the best one to put it on. I got off my indoor training this morning (it was outdoors) and suddenly I felt really anxious and dizzy and felt like I was clamping down on a panic attack. My cycling stats don't show any big difference from usual, today was 1 hr 15 mins at 90 cadence, 1225 calories. I have used the trainer roughly every other day since Nov but not so much in April only 7 times as opposed to 15 times in March. My routine was toast and ham for breakfast and a banana halfway through the ride. It did seem colder outside this morning so maybe I didm't hydrate enough? Is this normal sometimes? Wat would cause this, low sugar? I feel ok now maybe a slight headache.

CXRAndy

Guru
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but it seemed the best one to put it on. I got off my indoor training this morning (it was outdoors) and suddenly I felt really anxious and dizzy and felt like I was clamping down on a panic attack. My cycling stats don't show any big difference from usual, today was 1 hr 15 mins at 90 cadence, 1225 calories. I have used the trainer roughly every other day since Nov but not so much in April only 7 times as opposed to 15 times in March. My routine was toast and ham for breakfast and a banana halfway through the ride. It did seem colder outside this morning so maybe I didm't hydrate enough? Is this normal sometimes? Wat would cause this, low sugar? I feel ok now maybe a slight headache.

If the calories are correct, you were working very hard.

Hydration, food, fatigued and illness

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

You don't say how hard you were working.

I did a high intensity workout this morning. Like you, outside in the garden. I will do a 15 minute warm up, the high intensity bit, then a 15 minute warm down. I drank a litre of water during the session, half in the rest period between the high intensity interval sets and the other half in the 15 min cooldown.. The cooldown allows your heart and breathing (and blood pressure) to return to conversational levels before you climb off the bike. If you aren't already doing a cooldown I suggest you include it, so that when you climb off your bike, you aren't trying to stand up whilst your heart rate and breathing and blood pressure is still very high, and leg muscles haven't recovered enough from hard effort.

Last edited:

Mattk50

MattK50
You don't say how hard you were working?

Here are the stats from wahoo/strava. They dont look any different from usual. Ignore the distance as it's a cheap non smart trainer. I do stretches before and increase the intensity throughout the first half hour but only include a cool down if I'm feeling particularly 'battered' but I felt ok when I stopped. It was just when I got off!

1587388833300.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Here are the stats from wahoo/strava. They dont look any different from usual. Ignore the distance as it's a cheap non smart trainer. I do stretches before and increase the intensity throughout the first half hour but only include a cool down if I'm feeling particularly 'battered' but I felt ok when I stopped. It was just when I got off!

View attachment 516572

I don't know your max heart rate so that may be moderate effort or near you maximum. But either way I would not climb off my turbo when my heart rate is still around the figures in your image. Do a cooldown and keep pedalling at lower intensity till your heart rate has dropped at least 30bpm (from figures in screen shot) before climbing off. Don't forget to drink at well as sweating will reduce your blood plasma volume and could contribute some of the symptoms you describe.

Last edited:

Mattk50

MattK50
Thanks. I'm 51 so 220-50 = 170. Heart rate always in 150s so no pressure there. I'll keep up the cool downs as well, thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Given the speed and distance are nonsense, how do you know the calories is anywhere close to reality? If cycling outdoors in mixed terrain, normal conditions, rule of thumb around 40 per mile. So presuming you’d do about 20 miles of a strong rider in 1h15, that would be more like 800 (unless you’re very big and heavy and/or working extremely hard). Device calorie estimates are more like guesstimates.

have you had your blood pressure checked recently? High can cause issues (esp as it’ll get higher with exercise) as can low BP, more so if dehydrated

Top Bottom