Do bikes give off a certain vibe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Sounds like another my di^ks bigger than yours thread to be honest.

Who cares! +1 V for Vengedetta and enjoy it.

By all accounts I have a tiny tinker! Lol

Agree a bike is a bike - enjoy the ride - not what's painted on the frame

Paul J

By all accounts I have a tiny tinker! Lol

Agree a bike is a bike - enjoy the ride - not what's painted on the frame

Mines non existant as I have an old Raleigh Scorpio :wacko:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Most of us must have some sort of multiple personality disorder with a shed full of various different bikes.

It is true though that you get a different vibe from some riders depending what bike you are sat on. Says more about them than me IMHO.

its all bollox ... ride what you like ..and.. like what you ride:wacko:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The best thing about the 'all the gear, no idea' brigade is the warm feeling you get overtaking them on something you bought 2nd hand for £20 :laugh:

My bikes are what many people would consider to be at the higher end of the market, yet like most people I simply buy what I can afford. I really appreciate the quality and value of brands such as Boardman which some segments of the cycling community seem to view negatively for some reason. Like many other owners I brought my bikes because they make me smile, its simple as that.
I am yet to discover why some cyclists get so much enjoyment or excitement from passing specific brands or values of bikes.. I have actually experienced someone passing me while telling me how much more cost effective his bike was than mine :ohmy:
I often wonder if these people go home and tell their family of their incredible achievement and equally if they get as exited passing a BMW in traffic when sitting in a Fiesta :laugh:
Im a proud member of the 'all the gear, no idea' brigade and ride for no other reason than I enjoy it,yet I continue to be amazed that the people who use this term always forget to state what pro team they ride for. :dry:
I like the types of bikes I own. A bike is a machine, nothing more. I judge a person by how treat others, not by how deep their pockets are or what they ride. I simply could not care less, I would be happy to ride with anyone who would welcome my company. I just do not understand why some do not feel the same.

If you get a warm feeling passing me that's really cool and I'm happy I could bring that to someones life.

Gary E

Veteran
My bikes are what many people would consider to be at the higher end of the market, yet like most people I simply buy what I can afford. I really appreciate the quality and value of brands such as Boardman which some segments of the cycling community seem to view negatively for some reason. Like many other owners I brought my bikes because they make me smile, its simple as that.
I am yet to discover why some cyclists get so much enjoyment or excitement from passing specific brands or values of bikes.. I have actually experienced someone passing me while telling me how much more cost effective his bike was than mine :ohmy:
I often wonder if these people go home and tell their family of their incredible achievement and equally if they get as exited passing a BMW in traffic when sitting in a Fiesta :laugh:
Im a proud member of the 'all the gear, no idea' brigade and ride for no other reason than I enjoy it,yet I continue to be amazed that the people who use this term always forget to state what pro team they ride for. :dry:
I like the types of bikes I own. A bike is a machine, nothing more. I judge a person by how treat others, not by how deep their pockets are or what they ride. I simply could not care less, I would be happy to ride with anyone who would welcome my company. I just do not understand why some do not feel the same.

If you get a warm feeling passing me that's really cool and I'm happy I could bring that to someones life.
We clearly have different ideas about the words 'all the gear' and by the sound of it you're not in the particular group I was talking about.

I was referring to those people who buy expensive "insert anything here" for the soul purpose of one-up-manship and for what it's worth I agree with your ethos completely. I have cheap bikes and I have, well to be honest, slightly less cheap bikes. I enjoy riding and meeting other like-minded riders whether they're riding a piece of carbon magnificence or their mum's shopping bike ^_^

Xiorell

Über Member
I only get a vibe from propper nasty bikes. Ya know, the things that look like some troll dug up some ore and threw some vaguely wheel shaped objects at it, and called it a bicycle.
Also from cycles that are really poorly maintained, super clogged up chains and simple things like that.

I don't place much stock in the name splashed down the tubes. I ride a Raleigh road bike, dodgy brand in some minds but I think my ride is the muts nuts. My mate rides an Apollo hardtail MTB around the town, and I think that's alright really too, then I see club people on super fancy bikes and those are nice too. Whatever man just ride the thing.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think you can ask yourself this question about your personal preference/dislike of models...BUT accepting its just a personal thing and also accepting the bikes you DONT like are NOT inferior.
For me..
Specialized....just dont do it for me. I find them visually bland.
Giant..........ditto.
Trek...........ditto.
Boardman.....ditto.
Focus..........ditto.

Hang on, there;s a pattern here ^_^ i'd do better to focus on the bikes i DO like, and why...
Bianchi.........stylish, racy, with pedigree-
Orbea..........depending on the model, some used to look like someone had puked all over them, but generally nice looking bikes.
Ribble carbons..EXCELLENT value for money and Ribble have stepped up with some flair in the looks dept.

But when it comes down to it, for the most part, there's nothing remarkaby different about 99% of the frames from different manufacturers..take off the manufacturers identification, you'd find little to seperate them. Ive always said to posts looking for advice on 'which bike should i get ?'.....pick the one you like the looks of most, they're 90% the same under the skin.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
brands can go through cycles though (no pun intended). as a case in point: claud butler;
• pre-1957 highly desirable and hand-made by the man himself
• post '57 the brand belonged to holdsworth, and was found on decent, if not exceptional racing bikes
• the claud butler brand was taken on by falcon cycles in the '70s, and was often found on pretty poor entry level machines, certainly through the '80s
• today, still falcon owned, claud butler bikes are good value for money, entry level machines but not likely to be considered a club cyclist's best bike as they were in the pre-'57 era

anyway, just ride what you have and enjoy it. i had a great ride on a beaten up old alu hard tail today, with a trailer; so enjoyment's not about the value of the bike or the name on the top tube…

Top Bottom