Do ghosts exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Whars the message

Jamming rcvr 1 !!!check!!!

A book I read some years ago which read like a biography of the Universe, stated in similar words that, all scientists wished for their work to be disproved, for it was only when an idea was disproved that greater leaps into unknown scientific territory could be made. It was thus acknowledged that no scientific theory could ever be proved conclusively - Newton's Physical laws and Einsteins theory of relativity are two examples of science, largely accepted which are not universally proved and contain the minute flaws which allow science to search for further answers given their inconsistencies.

It is from this standpoint that any assertion that ghosts do not exist is a nonsense, precisely because such assertions rely on 'evidence' which tries to prove completely that they don't exist. And there is no evidence that proves conclusively that ghosts do not exist - one example of a ghost therefore, one exception, can and would scupper any such assertion that they do not exist.

It is not up to ghost believers therefore to prove conclusive evidence, but for the doubters to disprove. This is something virtually impossible to achieve and so, in my book, ghosts are very possible and if unexplained scientifically then so be it - just like much of what physics is, and up until very recently was - unexplained, but present.

There will always be examples which seem to prove none other than the fallibility of the human mind - try reading up on the Angel of Mons and the so-called apparitions of the soldiers of the 1st World War and delve deep enough, you know there is little proof as ever there is. But to make the leap from disproving the presence of phantom medieval archers in a WW1 battle to assuming that all supernatural/supernormal occurences are nonsense is equally nonsense.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Ok, as you suggested it is a signal jam which btw has naff all to do with your doorbell etc.

First thought is that the settings were changed during the inspection, let me explain, all wireless systems can suffer from this problem but they have settings which allow the system to be "jammed" for a period of time without affecting the system, if before the service it was set for say rwo minutes and was reset to 10 seconds this could cause the problem and earn a nice call out charge for the "repair" when it is reset to a longer time.

I had a problem system where I ended up setting the delay time to about three minutes.

One thing is for certain somethind was either deliberatley or accidently done during the inspection, I would be on the phone complaining asap.

400bhp

Guru
Thank you.

It's on a service agreement, so no call out charge (for me at least). I suspect the supplier uses self employed engineers though. Coincidentally these engineers have not visited my house before.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A book I read some years ago which read like a biography of the Universe, stated in similar words that, all scientists wished for their work to be disproved, for it was only when an idea was disproved that greater leaps into unknown scientific territory could be made. It was thus acknowledged that no scientific theory could ever be proved conclusively - Newton's Physical laws and Einsteins theory of relativity are two examples of science, largely accepted which are not universally proved and contain the minute flaws which allow science to search for further answers given their inconsistencies.

It is from this standpoint that any assertion that ghosts do not exist is a nonsense, precisely because such assertions rely on 'evidence' which tries to prove completely that they don't exist. And there is no evidence that proves conclusively that ghosts do not exist - one example of a ghost therefore, one exception, can and would scupper any such assertion that they do not exist.

It is not up to ghost believers therefore to prove conclusive evidence, but for the doubters to disprove. This is something virtually impossible to achieve and so, in my book, ghosts are very possible and if unexplained scientifically then so be it - just like much of what physics is, and up until very recently was - unexplained, but present.

There will always be examples which seem to prove none other than the fallibility of the human mind - try reading up on the Angel of Mons and the so-called apparitions of the soldiers of the 1st World War and delve deep enough, you know there is little proof as ever there is. But to make the leap from disproving the presence of phantom medieval archers in a WW1 battle to assuming that all supernatural/supernormal occurences are nonsense is equally nonsense.

This is drivel, and a total misunderstanding of the scientific method.
The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.

Otherwise you must accept any old bollocks as plausible, as it's impossible to prove a negative.

There is no reliable evidence that there is any supernatural phenomena, ghosts or otherwise. Until there is such evidence, we can safely file them along with alien abductions and psychokinesis in the "implausible and unproven" category and ignore them.

Paul99

Über Member

Otherwise you must accept any old bollocks as plausible, as it's impossible to prove a negative.

There is no reliable evidence that there is any supernatural phenomena, ghosts or otherwise. Until there is such evidence, we can safely file them along with alien abductions and psychokinesis in the "implausible and unproven" category and ignore them.

I don't think that the scientific method includes filing something under implausibe and unproven and ignoring it either.

There was no evidence that the god particle existed but they still looked for it.

400bhp

Guru

Not everything is scientific you know.

Sara_H

Guru
I have seen one but don't believe in them. I just haven't found the explanation for what I saw.
This is my view on ghosts and other stuff.

I don't believe in god or any organised religion, but I do believe that there's alot of things that we as can't explain - religion is an attempt by men to take control and try to explain such things.

As a nurse you see alot of stuff that could spook you - patients announcing they're about to die seconds before they do so is one of those things, patients claiming dead folk they know are waiting for them etc.

The white feathers buisness is a phenonema thats touched my life frequently. Not sure I believe the explaination that its my guardian angel making their presence felt, but its certainly touched my life at times of great stress - to the extent that my ex husband noticed how many white feathers were being chucked in my direction dudring our seperation and turned to me one day saying "Sara, we have to stop the feathers"!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
NO

tumblr_mcqms0d5hY1qjcpmx.jpg

it was the caretaker.... it's always the caretaker.

Top Bottom