Do ghosts exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I class myself as an intelligent, logical kind of guy with a belief system soundly grounded in the realms of science, but today has really got me perplexed.

Work in a shop with a large warehouse/logistics space behind it. The warehouse is non-operational at the weekend, so just me and one other in the shop. Quite a few times I've done that double take thing whilst in work when I thought I saw some'thing' out the corner of my eye, seen nothing and promptly written it off.
Anyway, going about my business today when I hear banging from the warehouse. Go out to investigate, the warehouse is empty but a window has been left open and an internal door towards the back of the building (which externally is fully locked down and us mere shop workers are unable to unlock) with a broken lock is swinging back and forth. The window isnt nessicerily anything of note as its a fairly rickety building which does suffer from strange internal pressure differnces which can cause this door thing to happen. So I wedge the door shut with a nearby ornamental thingy (I dont know how heavy it was, but it was a two handed lift job) - I know I did this as I had to go into an ajoining office and retrive it, and said door is sandwhiched between the exterior wall and partition wall of the office so I had little room to "miss". Close and lock the window, and amble back out to the front area.

Two minutes later, I hear it again. Go back and the ornament has moved backwards by 2ft and the door is swinging back and forward against the ornament.

Thinks I; cheeky begger, the 'ghost' stories are well known and worker no.2 is trying to play a trick on me. Lose interest and walk back through the building to the front where the shop is...

...To find worker no.2 coming back through the front door at that very moment with a fully loaded Tescos carrier apologising but he couldnt find me earlier to let me know he was popping out to lunch...

:eek: W...T...F?

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Yes. or I am nuts

Peteaud

Veteran
NO

tumblr_mcqms0d5hY1qjcpmx.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
I thought I saw a ghost earlier at the Railway Museum. Walking along looking at one of the Royal coaches, I caught a glimpse of something inside the carriage, going through a connecting door. I stopped and walked back along, but the next section of the coach had no windows, and nothing appeared in the next visible section.

Going back to where I'd seen it first, NT and I went and peered right in, and saw some electrician's tools on the floor. 'Ghost' explained.

Not sure I believe in ghosts, but I do know that it's possible to feel odd about a place, and I'm not quite willing to dismiss the supernatural out of hand - perhaps the supernatural just turns out to be misfiring in the human mind.

Physical stuff is harder to explain....

Arch

Married to Night Train
NT says:
I have a scientific mind and I don't believe in all the ghosts nonsense.

However, I have been stumped by three events where I saw very real things that were really not there.
I am at a complete loss as to how to explain them and and so, do I believe in ghosts? No, but I can't explain some things that have happened.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Anecdotal but what would be the point of making it up.

Many years ago on a call out as an alarm engineer I went to a factory in Barking near the remains of the Abbey. On arrival one person was waiting, I got my tools and went to find the fault, I was asked did I want a cup of tea, yes please i replied and he went away to make the tea.

I went to the factory part and sure enough one of the ultrasonic motion detectors was stuck in alarm for no good reason, I went back to the van and fetched my steps and got up to the detector. I had a feeling that someone was behind me and looked around and saw a woman then suddenly there was no one there.

I went back to the kitchen told the guy what I had seen to which he replied.

"A lot of people say they have seen her, story is she was a nun who was bricked up alive for having an affair"

A ghost, maybe, maybe not but I am beyond certain that I felt a presence behind me and I know what I saw.

400bhp

Guru
Primal-questio
alarm engineer

My alarm keeps going off as it thinks it's being tampered with (jammed signal). Any ideas?

Back on thread - I think many peeps think of ghosts as having more than a physical presence (having a mind) and I think that's where a lot of it is probably nonsensical.

Sara_H

Guru
Ask any nurse who's worked in an old hospital for any length of tme if they believe in Ghosts and they'll give you a resounding "yes".

One ward I worked on even had one room exorcised by the hospital chaplain after numerous staff and patients reported seing the same ghost in the room.

OP
OP
R

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Not sure I believe in ghosts, but I do know that it's possible to feel odd about a place, and I'm not quite willing to dismiss the supernatural out of hand - perhaps the supernatural just turns out to be misfiring in the human mind.

Physical stuff is harder to explain....

I know its a bit "I Want To Believe", the Op was a tad tounge in cheek, and I do count myself as a very rational guy. Im sure, given the right amount of research, some cause could be determined which adheres to the estsblished laws of physics. But I can't be the only one who's had this kind of quandry?

Interesting you should mention alarms PS. One of my other "huh?" moments was a few years ago when I was a keyholder for a retail chain. I responded to 3 activations in a 5 hour period one night, as usual it all checked out "normal", but when I called the engineer out the following day and berated him for his poor quality equipment, he ran his tests and said they were all fine, and they had indeed picked up "legitimate" activations, the second activation had detetced something like 14 distinct events. All 3 activations were in different zones. I assumed he was incompetent or lieing, but none of them tripped again in the 2 years that I remained working there.

Top Bottom