Do ghosts exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I don't think that the scientific method includes filing something under implausible and unproven and ignoring it either.
It does when there is no plausible mechanism for a hypothesis being correct.

There was no evidence that the god particle existed but they still looked for it.
Not true. its existence was predicted by a pyramid of experimental evidence and extrapolatory mathematics.

Paul99

Über Member
It does when there is no plausible mechanism for a hypothesis being correct.

Not true. its existence was predicted by a pyramid of experimental evidence and extrapolatory mathematics.
A prediction. Not evidence.

ASC1951

Guru
A prediction. Not evidence.
A prediction, as I said, based on good evidence and a workable hypothesis.

The trouble with all the ESP/paranormal bollox is that there isn't a workable mechanism or even a plausible hypothesis. People who believe in that stuff haven't really advanced beyond:-
"Scientific theories sometimes turn out to be wrong.
So science could be wrong about ESP.
So it is just as sensible for me to believe in ESP as it is to believe that water is made of hydrogen and oxygen."

just jim

"ghosts and hauntings" featured several years ago the radio programme "Archive on 4"
The best bit was the feature on a "haunted" WW2 era bomber. Tape recorders were left in the bomber overnight. When the tapes were played back they had recorded a series of clicks and noises which baffled investigators until a retired pilot pointed out the sequence of these clicks matched exactly the sound of the pilot's pre-flight checks. It was intriguing, but not sure if I'm a believer...

Can't be any such thing as ghosts as we'd be knee deep in them given the amount of people and animals that have died since life began.

It bothers me that the scientific types are so bothered by the possibility that anything that can't be rigorously proved could possibly exist.

Quantum physics seems to suggest that anything is possible.

Either way, its the dogmatism that's the problem for me. If you believe in ghosts, so what, that's your prerogative.

No. And now we all have cameras with us on our phones with video capability, there are still no signs of actual footage of a spirit of sny kind whatsoever that stands up to close scrutiny.
Same goes for alien spacecraft. :biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It bothers me that the scientific types are so bothered by the possibility that anything that can't be rigorously proved could possibly exist.
Either way, its the dogmatism that's the problem for me. If you believe in ghosts, so what, that's your prerogative.
That's entirely reasonable.

redcard

Veteran

Know what you mean. It's annoying when these killjoys try to spoil all the fun.

Top Bottom