Do I blow my savings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I used to work with a bobby that had a lucrative ebay shop and he would occasionally drive his Roller to work.
My cousin Christine was an early adopter of Ebay and now flits between Dubai and Australia in an attempt to spend all of her earnings before she dies of old age. I've offered to help her and I'm eagerly awaiting her reply.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Got back into cycling this year riding my £350 Felt. Quickly decided I wanted a new one so spent £1200 of savings on a second hand, never riden Cube.
Frivolous for me and a short lived buyers regret afterwards. However after riding the Felt to work and then riding the Cube the difference is amazing in feel, I no longer regret it. Im now riding 80+ miles lost 2 stone, and not paying 50+ on a gym membership, car stays at home now most of the week so has payed for itself really.
Going off topic a bit :blush: but basically that was a lot of money for me to spend however it has been 100% worth it which is what you need to decide.

proletaratOne

I have (after a beer fuelled evening) now got a gap in my fleet:rolleyes:

After browsing around Ebay and the like I really want to treat myself to a Specialized Venge or something along those lines. I wasn`t going to spend a huge amount to begin with but am now considering blowing my savings of about 4K on a seriously nice road bike - instead of a car.....yawn.

The justification is that it`s my 40th birthday present to myself (ok, my birthday is December, but that`s a minor detail), but the thought of spending money like that on a bike scares me. Been stewing on this for a fortnight now, what do I do? I sure as hell don`t know!
Personally

I would not

I’m not one of the people that’s say save your cash
Zzzzzzzzzz

….life is to be lived

however after looking at your fleet list

You already got a pretty decent rugged man for fun in the rough stuff

and a go fast road bike

I mean the tarmac is pretty fast still even if ten years old.
Unless your into racing. And even then at lower level it’s plent possible to do well on a ten year old bike ( I’m doing pretty good on a used 2016 Ridley Noah, and been SMOKED by a few guys in Chinese knock offs in races)

so I would save my money
Or maybe low it on some other cool shoot

example
Scuba gear
M1 garland ( or a enfield for my guys across the pond)
Wind surfer
Hookers
Rock climbing gear
Save for a classic muscle car
High end bourbon
A special trip

the list goes on

however if you must

I’m thinking very soon the newly spawned corona virus bikers will lose interest and slot of deals will come up I used market

CentralCommuter

We need to find out what happened next, I am emotionally invested in this now.

keithmac

Guru
Is this thread nearly 5 years old?.

Personally I would treat yourself to what you want if you can afford it.

You're a long time dead, enjoy it while you can imho.

Top Bottom