Do I come across as arrogant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Magnatom, anyone brave enough to stick their head above the parapet about what they see as right will attract polar views.

The majority, who are to be persuaded by reason will remain silent but be quietly influenced by your logic. You will never know you are winning them over unless you go and comission a survey.

Those in the know will support you.

The rest will be the disaffected ragers with no control over some part of their life and no courage to do anything about it. Instead they seek to direct their impotence at someone they feel thay have a chance against. A vulnerable cyclist will do nicely. If it wasn't you, it would probably be anyone they could label as PC, or immigrants or some other minority. They need to be treated kindly as someone in need of help. Once you've got past thinking of them as reasonable people, you'll be laughing.

But I agree with Snorri, don't put yourself in harms way.

...and stay off the drink :rolleyes:

ChrisKH

Guru
I have never found you arrogant Magnatom, in fact if anything the opposite. However what you (and some of us) do is somewhat confrontational, even if it's in the nicest possible way and not all people respond well to that.

magnatom said:
In another place I got into a discussion about the merits of cycling and the case for global warming. I like to try and keep to the facts, to keep emotion out of the discussion. I never insult anyone or react to insults...

Just feeling a little despondent at the moment about vindictive 'posters'. :sad:

(I thought I'd post this in cyclechat as I know a lot of the regulars who know me look in here. However, I would understand if you wanted to move this elsewhere).

You are not another of those arrogant Scots gits that us polite Southerners cringe before! You are trying for good - not bad.
I think, from your efforts, there is a greater awareness (in bus drivers at least) than if you had come to a forum and moaned without doing something.

But your kids magnatom - in that cardboard box - how could you, you wife beater you! :ohmy::rolleyes:

:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
Aperitif said:
You are not another of those arrogant Scots gits that us polite Southerners cringe before! You are trying for good - not bad.
I think, from your efforts, there is a greater awareness (in bus drivers at least) than if you had come to a forum and moaned without doing something.

But your kids magnatom - in that cardboard box - how could you, you wife beater you! :smile::rolleyes:

:biggrin:

I think he likes a drink unfortunately. So sad for his wife and kids! :sad:

:ohmy::sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

rich p said:
I'm baffled, Magnatom. What do you do to antagonise these people you're referring to? What forum is it? Are you changing the world view or just trying to?
Personally this is the only forum I use and I try not to rub others up the wrong way as this, for me, is a bit of light relief. If I wanted grief I'd go onto Soapbox and slag of a few of the members (and I use the word advisedly!) there.

I don't know what I do. It a forum for a different group of road users (not SS!!), and I try to put a cyclists perspective across to some of their discussions. I only post every once in a while and most of it is friendly banter. However, very recently I had a significant amount of abuse for just talking about global warming. I was replying to to the usual 'government conspiracy' comments and suggesting that this wasn't the case etc. Then someone else just went off on one at me. As I said to Dom I don't want to start a problem between forums so I am not going to name names publically. If you are interested (I am sure your not) I could post links as I am sure your not a trouble maker! :rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
I don't know what I do. It a forum for a different group of road users (not SS!!), and I try to put a cyclists perspective across to some of their discussions. I only post every once in a while and most of it is friendly banter. However, very recently I had a significant amount of abuse for just talking about global warming. I was replying to to the usual 'government conspiracy' comments and suggesting that this wasn't the case etc. Then someone else just went off on one at me. As I said to Dom I don't want to start a problem between forums so I am not going to name names publically. If you are interested (I am sure your not) I could post links as I am sure your not a trouble maker! :rolleyes:

Can't see the problem in a bit of inter-forum interaction myself.

For what it's worth though, you can't take any of this stuff personally. It is an internet forum where anyone can make any claim and spew as much bile as they want while hiding behind a computer. It is not real life and I'll bet that if you met any of these people in real life they would seem completely different.

Just laugh about it and forget it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think if you even mention global warming, many folk think you are some sort of tree hugging scrounger....

Standing up for your views will get flack - and maybe the global warming debate sparks the 'bad responses'.

For me, my cycling is about getting to and from work quickly, keeping me fit, saving me money, saving family time (no need to go out after work) and, where possible staying safe... no mention of global warming, as both of our cars are efficient, but the bigger one doesn't get used much now, and the 50-60 mpg one is used a lot.

Hope it's not a petrol heads forum as you'll be onto a looser.....global warming is last on their agenda

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I really shouldn't look, but the posts are continuing. Now it would appear that I am the cause of one driver getting the sack and one (who is posting on the forum) getting a disciplinary record, despite, as he puts it, 'the company admitted that I had done no wrong'.

Part of me wants to go on there and let rip. But another part of me says jut leave them to their petty squabbles. Looking at the way they are character assassinating me, I am feeling pretty superior....:rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
I really shouldn't look, but the posts are continuing. Now it would appear that I am the cause of one driver getting the sack and one (who is posting on the forum) getting a disciplinary record, despite, as he puts it, 'the company admitted that I had done no wrong'.

Part of me wants to go on there and let rip. But another part of me says jut leave them to their petty squabbles. Looking at the way they are character assassinating me, I am feeling pretty superior....:ohmy:

Just have another drink and forget about 'em! :rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
Come on, just give us a small clue what this forum is? I promise I won't go over there, just curious that's all! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

:ohmy: Now they are talking about suing me for posting defamatory, ignorant and biased videos! Can a video be ignorant and biased?!!:smile:

Maybe I will pass on my credit card details to you Patrick after all.

The temptation is also growing for me to post links to the relevant threads. I must resist......:rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
The temptation is also growing for me to post links to the relevant threads. I must resist......:ohmy:

Just on, just one little post wont hurt! We won't tell anyone, no harm done! :smile: :rolleyes:

Top Bottom