Do I come across as arrogant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Magnatom

For what it's worth mate, I don't think you are arrogant. Your posts on here are pretty balanced, reasoned arguments etc. You have also done a lot of good in promoting cycle safety.

What I would say though is (and you asked for honesty) is I think sometimes in your videos you can come across as slightly pompous when addressing drivers(particularly when mentioning Cyclecraft), perhaps as you say a slightly more softly softly approach.

This is of course easy to say, personally I am pretty belligerent when something bad happens on the bike (but people don't see this as I don't video my journeys)

Keep up the good work and don't let a few knobheads get you down

snorri

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I think Glasgow is pretty bad for cyclists compared to other parts of the country
and for argumentative people with short fuses;):rolleyes:.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Rab said:
Magnatom

For what it's worth mate, I don't think you are arrogant. Your posts on here are pretty balanced, reasoned arguments etc. You have also done a lot of good in promoting cycle safety.

What I would say though is (and you asked for honesty) is I think sometimes in your videos you can come across as slightly pompous when addressing drivers(particularly when mentioning Cyclecraft), perhaps as you say a slightly more softly softly approach.

This is of course easy to say, personally I am pretty belligerent when something bad happens on the bike (but people don't see this as I don't video my journeys)

Keep up the good work and don't let a few knobheads get you down

Rab fair points. I do try and say something sensible at the time, but sometimes the brain doesn't kick in. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of things that I have now preplanned to say if required. Hopefully, that will keep the nonsense from coming out!

In the heat of the moment it is all to easy to let rip, also often you have little time to get the message across as the driver is at trafficlights/junction or people are behind him/her wanting the driver to move.

I think most of us probably act the same way

Incidentally - I have found the offending thread :rolleyes:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Don't worry about it Magnatom, it's one thing to inadvertantly disturb a 'hornets nest', but to keep poking it is just going to make for more aggro, no matter if you are in the right or not.

If it's any consolation, the replies you are getting are from drivers who if you met them on the roads wouldn't have the nerve or wherewithall to carry out such threats and only use their online anonimity to embolden themselves and voice their pathetic fantasies.

Continue to ride and post with a clear mind Magnatom, you are not waging a petty one man war against drivers, as I see it you bring your uncertainties to CC for peer review and take what others have to say into account

FWIW, Mrs. tdr1nka wants me to get a helmet cam after Ms tdr1nka & I were forced off our tandem by a Virgin Media van last week as it would have meant I had the vehicle reg on vid.

My only worry is that I could end each day with enough potential evidence for 'shopping' drivers that I would have little time to report and process every single incident.

Keep up the good work, and stick up for what you know to be right.

U

User482

Don't worry magna, keyboard warriers do tend to get upset when you challenge their prejudices with logic and reasoning.

I can't say I'd ever noticed you being arrogant, which probably answers your question.

domtyler

Über Member
Magna, having read the threads I would seriously not let it bother you. It's just a couple of hot heads going off on one and you get that everywhere. As I said before, just laugh at them and carry on.

ChrisKH

Guru
domtyler said:
Just have another drink and forget about 'em! :rolleyes:

I just choked on my worcester sauce flavoured wheat crunchies.:ohmy:

tdr1nka said:
FWIW, Mrs. tdr1nka wants me to get a helmet cam after Ms tdr1nka & I were forced off our tandem by a Virgin Media van last week as it would have meant I had the vehicle reg on vid.

I took the afternoon of yesterday and went for a 40 miler, nearly had a horrible incident on the A77 with a van which must have been doing 70 - 80 miles an hour when it passed me - with traffic coming the other way :rolleyes:

I was in Secondary at the time and the road is not particulalry wide

Now this was a scary moment but it doesn't really have any impact describing it without footage.

I am now considering a camera too

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Rab said:
I took the afternoon of yesterday and went for a 40 miler, nearly had a horrible incident on the A77 with a van which must have been doing 70 - 80 miles an hour when it passed me - with traffic coming the other way :ohmy:

I was in Secondary at the time and the road is not particulalry wide

Now this was a scary moment but it doesn't really have any impact describing it without footage.

I am now considering a camera too

I should be getting commission by the sounds of it :rolleyes::smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OOOOOIIIIII DAAAVE!!!!! STOP BEING A BIG JESSIE.

:rolleyes:

It's not you mate, they're just a bunch of c@nts. They're just an ugly tribe who are upset at the justice handed out by your videos of bad driving IMO. They haven't got a leg to stand on in my opinion.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
p.s. maybe that's a bit unfair, there must be at least one reasonable bus driver on that forum. They do seem very unlike the sort of bus drivers I see down here in London, who are nearly all polite and courteous road users.

Still, it was good to learn that your videos really have had an effect. I'll bet that this type of reaction is typical from, for example, those policemen videoed taking part in racist beatings.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
OOOOOIIIIII DAAAVE!!!!! STOP BEING A BIG JESSIE.

:ohmy:

It's not you mate, they're just a bunch of c@nts. They're just an ugly tribe who are upset at the justice handed out by your videos of bad driving IMO. They haven't got a leg to stand on in my opinion.

That phrase just doesn't work with a Southern accent :rolleyes: (assuming you have a Southern Accent of course!)

It's hard when it is all very personal, but I'm a big boy (oo-er) and I'll bounce back.

I think a few beers will make me feel better....... now where's my car keys....:smile:

(Disclaimer: I am probably the most anti drink driving person I know. Don't do it! I never, ever would!)

Top Bottom