Do I come across as arrogant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
just a thought. you may already do this. do you ever post stuff on youtube when bus drivers have been courteous to you (which i know is probably not very often) and do you ever write to companies to tell them their drivers have been courteous and ask to pass on your thanks? Sometimes a positive action has a positive effect. and also, you wouldn't just be seen as some bloke who's out to get them.

just reading the bus forum, it seems they are all really fed up about the negative stuff they are always being dragged in the office about, even being late because of the traffic seems to get them a disciplinary (no wonder they are trying to run us down... ) it's probably all their own fault but also might be like a vicious circle, they get complained about, so it makes them feel moody and they take it out on the next passenger/cyclist.

if someone actually reported something good and they got pulled in the office for that instead, it might break the pattern, make their day and they may be more courteous to other road users.

asterix

Comrade Member
Aperitif said:
You are not another of those arrogant Scots gits that us polite Southerners cringe before! You are trying for good - not bad.

:thumbsup:

Are there any polite southerners?

Having spent a couple of hours reading through some of the threads on BloodBus I can only say I’m shocked at the disgusting attitudes some of these “professional” drivers have – what a bunch of complete tossers – quite a few of them, like the ones who post on YouTube, seem to think it’s ok to kill a cyclists if they even think that a cyclist is breaking the law (and their definition of breaking the law would include cycling in bus lanes, cycling in a primary road position, filtering to the asl at lights). I know its not all bus drivers, but ffs this lot are verging on the criminal – I wonder what the employers make of it – no wonder they’re all so precious about their anonymity – keep that camera on magnatom – think I’ll be putting one on the wish list –

buggi said:
just a thought. you may already do this. do you ever post stuff on youtube when bus drivers have been courteous to you (which i know is probably not very often) and do you ever write to companies to tell them their drivers have been courteous and ask to pass on your thanks? Sometimes a positive action has a positive effect. and also, you wouldn't just be seen as some bloke who's out to get them.

just reading the bus forum, it seems they are all really fed up about the negative stuff they are always being dragged in the office about, even being late because of the traffic seems to get them a disciplinary (no wonder they are trying to run us down... ) it's probably all their own fault but also might be like a vicious circle, they get complained about, so it makes them feel moody and they take it out on the next passenger/cyclist.

if someone actually reported something good and they got pulled in the office for that instead, it might break the pattern, make their day and they may be more courteous to other road users.

That paul jones guy (is he a member on this forum?) on youtube does that – posts examples of good behaviour – he still gets loads of comments from plebs : http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=DcxpLsYBvn0&fromurl=/watch?v=DcxpLsYBvn0

Also magnatom – regarding the idiot suggesting that you should be sued for filming in public is talking out of his backside – I’m sure that’s pretty apparent by the rest of his posts – if anyone should be worried about legal action it should be the professional drivers that use that forum to make threats to hospitalise you – the more I think about it, the more I need to go out for a nice ride to remind myself that most people I meet on the road when cycling are pretty decent…

One other thought magnatom – seeing as you already have a relationship with some Glasgow bus companies, why don’t you contact them, show them the content on bloodbus, and ask them if they approve of your filming actions or approve of the kind of responses their drivers are making about you – you never know, they might even encourage you to film – if I ran a bus company, I wouldn’t want to employ any drivers with the sort of attitudes displayed on that forum

Hi, Magnatom- getting back to your first post/question. This is meant as constructive, I just thought I would give some feedback as the others were being a bit nice to you….!
Avatar- a brain.. makes you look like you are trying to come over as a bit brainy – no one likes that it is bordering arrogant. (Don’t know what my one says about me)
Global warming – THERE ARE NO FACTS just opinion. Many fall into the trap (as with religion) that your view is built on a fact rather than an opinion. (Can of worms duly opened)
I do disagree with people but find that when they have lost the argument they start resorting to insults. They have nothing left. I think there was an old proverb: he who strikes the first blow has lost the argument.

Arrogant is not necessarily bad – it can be determination or openness. World is better for it now and then.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

You should check out my youtube videos. Since yesterday I have received over 40 replies to them. The vast majority of them very abusive and some threatening violence.:thumbsup:

You'd think I was a serial killer or something!:sad:

P.S. Thanks for the replies guys. Not much time at the moment so I can't reply to you all. More when I get a chance!

col

Legendary Member
TwickenhamCyclist said:
Also magnatom – regarding the idiot suggesting that you should be sued for filming in public is talking out of his backside – I’m sure that’s pretty apparent by the rest of his posts – if anyone should be worried about legal action it should be the professional drivers that use that forum to make threats to hospitalise you – the more I think about it, the more I need to go out for a nice ride to remind myself that most people I meet on the road when cycling are pretty decent…

Thats the main point,there are a lot of decent people out there,bus drivers included,and the reactions on that site are brought about by someone being filmed or blamed for their driving,when most of the time,we as cyclists could just give way,and there wouldnt be as many problems.But instead,they get filmed and reported,doing something,that if we look around,is being done by most other vehicles,but it seems they are easy targets.Easy to report and get a result like warnings and lost jobs,was it really worth it?I think not,as even if the driver was guilty of bad driving,its a drop in the ocean compared to all the other bad drivers in all vehicles out there.All this seems to do,is cause major problems for a very small minority,instead of actualy doing anything to solve the problem.Im sure mag is a decent bloke,and his intentions are genuine,but when was the last time he followed up on a car doing something similar,with a bunch of lads in,took a number,traced it,and followed it through,to get them prosecuted?And approached it in the same manner as visiting bus stations.If this is going to be done fairly,garages,and factories ect need to be visited,with the evidence produced,and the finger pointed at the drivers responsible,or is that more difficult and dangerous?It seems to me that there is a head hunt going on,why?because of how easy a target buses are.As an ex,i repeat ex(had to say that,as im very happy about it)bus driver,i understand the problems they have to deal with,and long shifts,with bad cross overs from very late to middle shifts,keep you in a constantly tired state,and taking into account the amount of time they are out driving,to me shows how good they are at driving.Not taking into account the abuse normaly for no reason,other than they are an easy target.As for resorting to insults,because of no answer in a debate,there are plenty on here who have done the same,and continue to.
The only way i think,round all this is to educate,and educate.Getting a handful of drivers ,in a large company into trouble,isnt going to do it.
When we see a vid of white van man,cutting you up,follow it through,with video too,and go to their work place and,approach their boss,then get the police involved,or is that a different story?
If you find yourself in a tight situation,get out of it,instead of forcing your so called right of being in the middle of the road,when there could be another option,or holding up traffic because you feel you have the right,when all it takes is a bit of pulling over,or do you have the right to get somewhere faster?
And stop head hunting the easy targets,lets see you do the same thing with mr chav,speeding cutting up,and who is really a lot more dangerous than a bus driver who got too close to you by mistake.
Im not going to post smilies,as iv been called for that,suffice to say,im not ranting,just pointing out what seems to be the way it looks.

magnatom said:
You should check out my youtube videos. Since yesterday I have received over 40 replies to them. The vast majority of them very abusive and some threatening violence.:thumbsup:

You'd think I was a serial killer or something!:sad:

P.S. Thanks for the replies guys. Not much time at the moment so I can't reply to you all. More when I get a chance!
It’s almost as if there were some sort of campaign against you – have you upset anyone lately:?:

nethalus

BentMikey said:
p.s. maybe that's a bit unfair, there must be at least one reasonable bus driver on that forum. They do seem very unlike the sort of bus drivers I see down here in London, who are nearly all polite and courteous road users.

Still, it was good to learn that your videos really have had an effect. I'll bet that this type of reaction is typical from, for example, those policemen videoed taking part in racist beatings.

There one reasonable, sweet cuddly, nice bus driver on there like;)

Pete

Well, Magnatom, you want 'honest' answers. I think you're quite aggressive, perhaps I'd re-phrase that as 'forthright', 'assertive', something like that. I suppose we're all different, some are fairly easy-going and never speak out in anger, others...

I don't say that what you're doing is wrong, mind. Maybe, for every driver who charges in and threatens you, there are nine others who see your camera, think to themselves 'this guy is serious', and back off: maybe you're doing the whole Glasgow cycling community a big favour...

I'm not sure what I am. Nor am I sure how different it is for us here, down in respectable leafy Sussex and laid-back, parochial B*ggers H*le in particular.

Mostly I get a really easy ride, there are plenty of good considerate drivers around here who treat me - just as I would wish drivers to treat me.

But we do get some idiot drivers down here too. For me, it's mostly a case of me shouting, after the event as the offender is driving away, and of course the cager can't hear. So it's just a case of burning off my spleen, nothing more.

The other thing is that, hitherto, I haven't had a camera. All that is about to change! I have just splashed out on a new toy for myself, an ATC2K (following the crowd here!). To be honest I wasn't sure what I was going to use it for, it wasn't my first objective to start 'shopping' bad driving, but I plan to try it out in France, on deserted rural roads, just t get the 'feel' of the thing. Maybe I'll try it on the commute, maybe not... Then I'll have to find out how this Youtube business actually works...

Top Bottom