Do I need a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve currently got a bowman Pilgrims on 28mm tubeless tyres which I use for long day rides.

I’m wanting now to do some long quick tours, perhaps 500 miles over 5 days and camp overnight, so tent, sleeping bag, stove to carry.

will my bike manage that or will I better with either a gravel bike or tourer?

im thinking I might benefit from wider tyres?

raggydoll

Über Member
I had a quick search for bowman pilgrim and it seems the widest tyres they can take is 30mm

https://bowman-cycles.com/products/pilgrims

I personally think you would be absolutely fine over 5 days with 28mm tyres (but I'm no expert)

One of my bikes has 30mm on (so only 2mm bigger) and I would feel confident carting stuff on that.

Would you be using bikepacking bags or does your bike take a rack?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thegreatthor

Über Member
I had a quick search for bowman pilgrim and it seems the widest tyres they can take is 30mm

https://bowman-cycles.com/products/pilgrims

I personally think you would be absolutely fine over 5 days with 28mm tyres (but I'm no expert)

One of my bikes has 30mm on (so only 2mm bigger) and I would feel confident carting stuff on that.

Would you be using bikepacking bags or does your bag take a rack?

I’ll be using bikepacking bagsbut I might swap the back one for a large Carradice Saddle bag with tent strapped on top.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Wider tyres might be a bit comfier, but if all on road then 28mm is fine.

Can you mount a rack for panniers or fit enough frame bags etc to carry what you need? that's the crucial question. Along with do you want a new bike?

battered

Guru
28mm tyres will be fine, if you can get the gear on the bike and you like riding it then it's the tool for the job.

ISTR 28mm was standard fit on tourers back in the day anyway, wasn't it? Or 1 1/8" at least.

byegad

Legendary Member
I’ve currently got a bowman Pilgrims on 28mm tubeless tyres which I use for long day rides.

I’m wanting now to do some long quick tours, perhaps 500 miles over 5 days and camp overnight, so tent, sleeping bag, stove to carry.

will my bike manage that or will I better with either a gravel bike or tourer?

im thinking I might benefit from wider tyres?
Silly question! Of course you 'need' a new bike. In fact if you move that there and are prepared to squeeze past that you could have two more. :becool:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
AND a Fixed for the winter , keep the old winter fixed riding traditions alive .

I sold mine this year :sad: and it was a beauty. Custom fixed, very fast and was my commuter/bad weather bike. Had to sell it as it was the one I got my spine broken on, and MrsF didn't want to see it. Took me 5 years to get round to wiping the dust off and selling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom