Do i really need new wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I took my kinesis bike to my LBS today as I thought after 7000 miles the rims were looking a little tired. I was advised the best way to go was buy new wheels....is this correct is it cheaper to change the wheels than rims? I am not very technical minded so advice would be welcome. The groupset is campag veloce and it is a 10 speed cog set on the rear. If you buy better wheels do the rims last longer? is 7000 miles a good average? Also I presume if I had paid more attention to the rims and cleaned them (which I did not do when I cleaned the rest of the bike) then they would have lasted much longer. I presume the same goes for brake pads...if I had used for example koolstop salmon (which I have just ordered now) then presumably the rims might have got me to 10000 miles...questions questions so many questions....what do you think? thanks as always:rolleyes:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Stop using your brakes then your wheels will last longer.

Its a how long is a bit of string question; what conditions you ride in, weight, quality, cleaning routines, pads etc all affect how long the wheels last. IIRC my last two sets of wheels when I lived in Scotland lasted around 6,000 miles but the last set of wheels lasted over 8,500 and only the bearings went, probably could've fixed them but I fancied a change. But its not as simple as geographic.
The lbs are right though it can and usually is cheaper to replace the whole wheel rather than fix (especially with factory wheels), its just a fact of a lot of things in modern life.
Its impossible to say how much longer they'll last if you treated them better, softer pads and cleaning but they will last longer:thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its a how long is a bit of string question; what conditions you ride in, weight, quality, cleaning routines, pads etc all affect how long the wheels last. IIRC my last two sets of wheels when I lived in Scotland lasted around 6,000 miles but the last set of wheels lasted over 8,500 and only the bearings went, probably could've fixed them but I fancied a change. But its not as simple as geographic.
The lbs are right though it can and usually is cheaper to replace the whole wheel rather than fix (especially with factory wheels), its just a fact of a lot of things in modern life.
Its impossible to say how much longer they'll last if you treated them better, softer pads and cleaning but they will last longer:thumbsup:
Indeed my commute is 10 miles and on the inbound trip I might brake 7 times,hubs go before rims for me.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
actually this looks as if it might be good for the job and only £5 and just down the road from me..
http://www.diy.com/departments/norton-220-extra-fine-sanding-block-refill-pack-of-5/189466_BQ.prd

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
actually this looks as if it might be good for the job and only £5 and just down the road from me..
http://www.diy.com/departments/norton-220-extra-fine-sanding-block-refill-pack-of-5/189466_BQ.prd
Do you really need that?
I've never had to clean rims in 40 odd years ...
To extend rim life, use a decent brake blocks like Koolstop Salmon (I only fit to the front and use the black ones on the back to revent the rear locking-up with equal brake pressure). You'll no longer get that awful graunching/grinding noise when you use the brakes and life will be good.

Broadside

Guru
I took my kinesis bike to my LBS today as I thought after 7000 miles the rims were looking a little tired. I was advised the best way to go was buy new wheels....is this correct is it cheaper to change the wheels than rims? I am not very technical minded so advice would be welcome. The groupset is campag veloce and it is a 10 speed cog set on the rear. If you buy better wheels do the rims last longer? is 7000 miles a good average? Also I presume if I had paid more attention to the rims and cleaned them (which I did not do when I cleaned the rest of the bike) then they would have lasted much longer. I presume the same goes for brake pads...if I had used for example koolstop salmon (which I have just ordered now) then presumably the rims might have got me to 10000 miles...questions questions so many questions....what do you think? thanks as always:rolleyes:
I think 7,000 miles is okay for a set of rims, they are going to wear out at some point. Unless you already have some handbuilts on there with readily available replacement rims then a complete new set of wheels will be cheaper, and the freehub may well be close to packing up on your current wheels anyway. My factory wheels seem to get about 4,000 miles for the freehub and 7-8,000 for the rims. In terms of cost per mile you can't really argue with it, rims are a consumable when you think about it. The only realistic way you can prolonge them is with a nice soft pad like Koolstop Salmon. Hard pads that last a long time tend to eat rims.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
give the rims a wash with some hot soapy water and then inserted the koolstop salmons....whoa...all that screeching has stopped nice and quiet with tons of stopping power. I reckon there's a least 1000 miles left in those rims...will give a good burn up tomorrow on my morning commute and see what I think

Top Bottom