Do I replace my Garmin Edge 200?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sturmey_Hub

Über Member
Up until now I’ve no complaints about Garmin. I bought my Edge 200 several years ago to replace my Cateye Mity and old ordnance survey maps cut into small squares. I never understood all of the complaints about Garmin as mine performed perfectly. However, I wanted to upload a GPX file to Garmin Connect so that I could follow a route, only to find I can’t do this. I’ve always been happy with the Connect interface to plan and upload routes to the Edge 200 (easy to use), but have only just found that there is no way to upload GPX files. Clearly this has been discussed before and I now understand people’s frustration with Garmin. So now, after using Garmin for years, do I now find an alternative? I don’t want to use my mobile ‘phone

There is plenty of chat about Wahoo and was wondering if people have experience of these devices and whether or not it’s easy to upload GPX files to them and what mapping software people use? Do I spend a lot of money of a new device or does anyone know of a way to upload GPX files? I just want a good mapping cycle computer so that I can follow a route.

Look at the mio Cyclo 305 upwards range. Maps, ant +, surprise me function, touch screen and good battery life.

I have a 305 and love it. I got it second hand off eBay for about £80.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what Fossy said. Ridewithgps, bikehike or such like. Make gpx route and upload to 'new files' folder on the 200.

huggy

I have a Wahoo ELEMNT, it's my first cycle GPS. It is simplicity it's self. I up loaded a GPX file for the 1st time tonight. Pulled the GPX off MapMyRide uploaded to RideWithGps. Turned on Wahoo clicked sync in routes, route was ready to use in 3 minutes in total using a pathetic internet connection,

If I'd authorised Wahoo to sync routes from MapMyRide it would have been even quicker. You can authorise loads of different sites at the same time I mainly use Strava Route ploter as it estimates expected time of ride as you plot the route.

Bottom line is I'm very happy with the ELEMNT, got it before bolt was launched so didn't have that option to choose.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I drag & drop GPX files into "new files" on my Edge 200 and they're in the courses menu when I next turn it on ?

Then, you get a "breadcrumb trail" for the route..

Lee_M

Guru
Another vote for the elemnt bolt. Just swapped my garmin 800 for it and love it.

Automatically syncs RidewithGPS routes and automatically uploads completed rides to strava.

Easy to use and easy to set up

OP
OP
Sturmey_Hub

Sturmey_Hub

Über Member
I drag & drop GPX files into "new files" on my Edge 200 and they're in the courses menu when I next turn it on ?

Then, you get a "breadcrumb trail" for the route..
Thanks. Now it works. I was copying files into the courses folder- it seemed an appropriate place.

Top Bottom