Do I want a smart watch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Right now there's latest versa from fitbit for sub £100! It's more than enough for most users and even the top end fitbit sense is sub £200, I think I saw one at £139.99 this weekend. Top spec apple watch offers very little more than these without as good app. Why get apple?

Whilst I agree with you. If you are using the Apple ecosystem, then Apple makes a lot of sense. And if you are training *very* hard, family anecdotal evidence is that the Apple Watch is hardest to kill. If you are exercising at a normal mortal level, then you can get just as good(ish) for cheaper. Not sure what Garmin and Fitbit offer in terms of battery life.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have an early Casio solar, waveceptor watch that happily tells me the correct time, all the time, without me ever having to charge it or do anything other than wear it
Nah. You already own a really great watch for telling the time, for everything else you have the phone in your pocket. I'm not nearly swayed by smart wstches yet, not until they become just that bit smarter and can do everything. And then it'll need to have a battery life of more than one day, that's pretty poor. We carry so much with us now that can't manage being more than one day away from a charge, talk about becoming slaves to the plug socket.

A casio watch battery is good for 7 to 10 years as I'm sure you know, I really like not having to remember to take it off for bed, or for anything for that matter.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I posted a while back in the health forum but in May this year the ECG function on my new Apple watch picked up atrial fibrillation that I had no knowledge of. I'm now permanently on anticoagulants after AF was confirmed by a full ECG at the surgery. GP reckoned it could have saved my life as in years to come, the stroke risk is such that the first I would have known about it would also have been the last I knew about it.

I think the Apple watch is great regardless of my good fortune. Linked to my phone, text messages can be read on my wrist, I can make and answer phone calls like someone out of Thunderbirds, all kinds of phone apps send alerts to it that don't require digging a phone from my pocket to read etc. etc.

If mine were to fail, I'd buy another in an instant.

What my Apple watch does for me:
  • When using Apple CarPlay it vibrates just before a verbal announcement, handy if on a long journey when it all gets a bit monotonous
  • Lets me control volume or pause etc the music my phone is playing but is maybe in another room
  • Lets me see messages or all types pop up so at least I'm aware of what's just come in
  • Similar to above: if i get an SMS that's a security passcode on my phone it's handy that i have it instantly and on my wrist (phone may be some distance away)
  • Tracking of everything known to man and some metrics yet to be discovered.....
  • When my phone alarm goes off in the morning i can snooze it on my watch, no need to even disturb the duvet
Mine is a version 1 so no GPS, think i paid about £175 some few years back.

I do like the look of the Amazefit T-rex Pro, a lot of bang for your buck:okay:

icowden

Veteran
As stated in my post above 2 weeks for garmin 55, which is 13 days more than an Apple watch according to all the evidence.

So comparing like for like - a Garmin which can play music, answer phone calls, use GPS, pay for snacks etc - still 2 weeks?

As stated in my post above 2 weeks for garmin 55, which is 13 days more than an Apple watch according to all the evidence.
Vivosport is a very small tracker style that's 5 years old I think now but only got matched in specs by charge 4 last year I think. Was overpowered for its cost when it came out. Mine is nearly 2 years old perhaps nearly 3. Its a step up on my fitbit surge, their first smartwatch. Battery is old tech but still lasts 7 days if you exercise without gps or with gps I get a full day's walk tracking and a day off normal watch use from a charge easily. Amazing considering it was the smallest on-board gps tracker when it first came out. Back then you were charging virtually every evening for anything close to it. Wearing it now.

If garmin can do that with 5 year old tech but apple can't with more r&d spend and a hefty price tag to build the best then why go anywhere else than garmin?

Well take a look at polar too. They're getting very good and they tend to have more accurate and reliable gps chips too. Definitely a garmin competitor because it's sports orientated rather than lifestyle or health orientated.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So comparing like for like - a Garmin which can play music, answer phone calls, use GPS, pay for snacks etc - still 2 weeks?

I have a Garmin Instinct and it does all that bar 1.

Controls my Spotify on phone, main system and sub-system in bedroom.

Can answer phone calls or reply with custom text message.

Dito messages or WhatsApp.

Runs for 2 weeks.

16 hours GPS 40 hours on Ultra track (logging position at 1 second increments.)

Uses GPS, Glonass and Galileo.

3D GPS tracking - actual distance walked or ridden accounting for ups and downs rather than as the crow flies.

Garmin's GPS is very tough to beat.

Huge array of alarms and alerts.

Hugely customisable activity metrics screens. Set screens/alarms etc according to activity.

Optical HR. Connectivity to chest straps etc options.

Very good App.

Barometric and GPS altimeter.

Full barometric functions including eg storm alert.

Compass.

Breadcrumb navigation including Trackback.

Built to US military spec' robustness standards.

And tons more...

Does not have NFC. Which is hardly a deal breaker as I have that in my phone.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I have a Garmin Instinct and it does all that bar 1.

Controls my Spotify on phone, main system and sub-system in bedroom.

Can answer phone calls or reply with custom text message.

Dito messages or WhatsApp.

Runs for 2 weeks.

16 hours GP's - 40 hours on Ultra track (logging position at 1 second increments.)

Uses GPS, Glonass and Galileo.

3D GPS tracking - actual distance walked or ridden accounting for ups and downs rather than as the crow flies.

Garmin's GPS is very tough to beat.

Huge array of alarms and alerts.

Hugely customisable activity metrics screens. Set screens/alarms etc according to activity.

Optical HR. Connectivity to chest straps etc options.

Very good App.

Barometric and GPS altimeter.

Full barometric functions including eg storm alert.

Compass.

Breadcrumb navigation including Trackback.

Built to US military spec' robustness standards.

And tons more...

Does not have NFC. Which is hardly a deal breaker as I have that in my phone.
Does it tell the time? :whistle:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
What my Apple watch does for me:
  • When using Apple CarPlay it vibrates just before a verbal announcement, handy if on a long journey when it all gets a bit monotonous
  • Lets me control volume or pause etc the music my phone is playing but is maybe in another room
  • Lets me see messages or all types pop up so at least I'm aware of what's just come in
  • Similar to above: if i get an SMS that's a security passcode on my phone it's handy that i have it instantly and on my wrist (phone may be some distance away)
  • Tracking of everything known to man and some metrics yet to be discovered.....
  • When my phone alarm goes off in the morning i can snooze it on my watch, no need to even disturb the duvet
Mine is a version 1 so no GPS, think i paid about £175 some few years back.

I do like the look of the Amazefit T-rex Pro, a lot of bang for your buck:okay:

I had never thought of a SmartWatch. But, I am an Apple freak (iPhone, iPad, MacBook), after reading your bullet points, I am convinced, I NEED one. Just have to start hints to Mrs @BoldonLad now ;)

icowden

Veteran

Or see this comparison from Tech Radar:-

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/apple-watch-vs-garmin-how-to-choose-the-right-smartwatch-for-you

and this statement from Garmin:-

BATTERY LIFE
Internal, rechargeable lithium battery provides up to 14 days in smartwatch mode, up to 16 hours in GPS mode and up to 40 hours in UltraTrac™ battery saver mode.

So, if directly comparing with Apple, the battery life is about the same in GPS mode which the Apple Watch is always in. Plus you can use the Apple Watch for phone functionality *without* having your phone, which you cannot do with the Garmin which only pairs to your smartphone rather than having its own SIM. I couldn't find reference information for battery life without using LTE and GPS for Apple Watch. They just assume you are going to be using both.

That said, the Garmin is going to last a *lot* longer generally before needing a recharge. It's not really a like for like comparison though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
At the risk of being a humourless eco bore, isn't this exactly the sort of question we should be asking ourselves?

Yes. Absolutely.

But then a smart watch will tell me my heart rate and do an ECG and show my blood oxygen levels...and it will no doubt do other cool stuff I've not thought of that would absolutely appeal to the tech-nerd in me.

If you're a tech nerd you're a tech nerd, so maybe it makes a good present for you. Have to say I find this whole sort of thing bemusing. Personally I leave my heart rate and blood oxygen to get on with doing their thing, and I haven't missed an ECG thingy. (Don't know what it is TBH) What other cool stuff can it do? For £370 I personally would be looking for a fair bit.

Plus the preachy stuff: why do we seem to need this unending stream of 'more'? It'll be the death of us. Or if not us, I'd hate to be our grandchildren's grandchildren.

Define 'smart'.

Top Bottom