Do my pedals need replacing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
They seem to need constant regreasing of the cleat/pedal interface to stop the creak, so I think something has messed up somewhere and they've been permanently ruined despite being only a couple of months old. Today, they suddenly started making the worst creaking I've ever heard as I was sprinting from a stop.

D

Deleted member 1258

They seem to need constant regreasing of the cleat/pedal interface to stop the creak, so I think something has messed up somewhere and they've been permanently ruined despite being only a couple of months old. Today, they suddenly started making the worst creaking I've ever heard as I was sprinting from a stop.

Are you sure its the cleats? noises that appear to come from that area in reality could be coming from other parts of the bike, have you had a good check round the bike?

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Are you sure its the cleats? noises that appear to come from that area in reality could be coming from other parts of the bike, have you had a good check round the bike?

Yeah, if I pedal without clipping in, the creak goes, even if I put a bit of power through.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Road or MTB pedals?, theres a short video here with some ideas on how to quieten road cleats

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/video/ask-a-mechanic-quieting-squeaky-cleats_299226

The obvious is how tight are the bolts? And are you sure its the cleat/pedal interface and not some part of the shoe rubbing somewhere?

SPD, so MTB I guess. The bolts are fairly tight, and I have tried different levels of tightness with no results.

The problem is temporarily fixed by greasing the metal plate that hooks onto the cleat, so it wouldn't be the fabric or some other such thing.

buggi

Bird Saviour
The bolts need to be extremely tight, not fairly tight!
i think he means the tension for clipping out is fairly tight. I had a creak like this, got the shop to fully strip the bike before i sussed it lol. It was better if i lubed the pedal before riding but in all honesty if its that bad, change the pedal, just to save your sanity.

rb58

Enigma
I have this too. An occasional wipe with Vaseline on the pedal shoe 'interface' areas and it's sorted for a few rides. I've found it's not the cleat, but the other areas where the shoe touches the pedal that are the source of the squeak. The only thing to remember is not to walk across the carpet when you get back from a ride!

betty swollocks

large member
Could be your shoes, not the pedals.

Had a similar thing recently turned out to be two things, cleats had worn below the line of the two rubber strips on the bottom of the shoe so they were rubbing and a creaky BB which needed replacing.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Well the creaking has stopped, and now there's a click just on the right-hand downstroke somewhere on the drivetrain. I feel it mostly in my right foot, but also a little on my left. Only happens at a certain cadence - if I put more force in, the clicking stops. If I put hardly any in, it stops then too.

It's in between those two points that I can feel it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Bit fed up of chasing countless problems alone, so just going to take it into an LBS on Thursday and have them check the BB and freehub for anything that needs tightening, greasing or adjusting. Good shop, so hopefully they'll point out anything wrong and get the bike to how it should be.

Top Bottom