Do my pedals need replacing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I found with my mtb cleats and pedals that if you get rid of the build up of the black stuff on them it solves the creak.

Someone told me it was aluminium or whatever the metal they are made of, ground up from movement at the pedal / clear interface.

Worked for me, bit of gt85 and one of those green scourers from under the sink.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Had a similar thing recently turned out to be two things, cleats had worn below the line of the two rubber strips on the bottom of the shoe so they were rubbing and a creaky BB which needed replacing.

It could well be some kind of wear, but I'm not sure how I could tell. I can't find information on diagnosing cleat wear anywhere.

The click on the downstroke could possibly be cleat/pedal related as well, since there is a problem with them lifting out of the pedals slightly on the upstroke.

Did you not get a new set of cleats with the pedals normally they are supplied with them?, if you did just fit them and see if the noise goes away. Just don't have a *** my foot is stuck, oh yes its new cleats moment.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Did you not get a new set of cleats with the pedals normally they are supplied with them?, if you did just fit them and see if the noise goes away. Just don't have a *** my foot is stuck, oh yes its new cleats moment.

Nah, I didn't - most likely because they're the cheapest in Shimano's entire SPD pedal range - the M520s.

Just went out and bought a pair of cleats though. Also tightened my rear wheel, so it's not wobbling about.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Still creaking?
No more creak, but took it to a bike shop to learn that the click and slight wobbling felt mostly in the RH pedal was actually the bottom bracket. Only managed 600miles!

But the new one should last much longer after proper installation. Definitely helps that the bike now gets a shelter from the weather at college.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
When I got my M520's I got cleats. A lot of ads on fleabay for used pedals say they don't come with cleats. It's often cheaper to buy new pedals with cleats then buy replacement cleats.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
When I got my M520's I got cleats. A lot of ads on fleabay for used pedals say they don't come with cleats. It's often cheaper to buy new pedals with cleats then buy replacement cleats.

I might well have done then, don't know why I don't remember getting them. Would've thought I'd have fitted them out of the box.

Mark White

Nah, I didn't - most likely because they're the cheapest in Shimano's entire SPD pedal range - the M520s.

Same experience as me with the same pedals. Started to get a graunching noise on the left after about 3 months on the lowest tightness setting, and ended up with both of them on 3 turns tighter and a good oiling of the tensioner after a clean. Seems to have done the job.

Top Bottom