Do not eat raw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I reckon we should all give peas a chance✌

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I reckon we should all give peas a chance✌
copyright bridge over the M25 clockwise near the M40 junction
Local Strawberry PYO has found fresh cream containers in the middle of his field
Yep that was a treat for us in the 80's we'd get a rare treat of a bar meal out somewhere, then off the the PYO to pick a load of berries and a bit of "infield snacking" for "dessert". never a cream pot though!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was child of the 60's all those were commonplace, I do wonder about cotton wool kids today, showering/bathing them everyday we used to have one a week whether we needed it or not, their immune systems cannot be as developed as ours.

But back to the OP's point, wasn't one of the claims by Birds Eye????? that the freshness was frozen in as it went from farm to packet under X hours, seem to remember an advert, maybe Iceland is X + Y
Yep, Birds-Eye's pledge was under 2 hours from field to frozen, it was quite an operation to achieve that. In my former life the company I worked for built a 22 Tonne/hr pea freezer to help achieve this during the short harvesting periods. Peas that fell outside that range went elsewhere.
Peas are a very good source of Vitamin C which starts to degrade quickly after picking, hence the rapid farm to freezer preserves this better.

As the mumsnet response says, they are blanched so this should deal with most of the microbial load but it's not a certified 'kill-step' like pasteurisation for example, just to inactivate enzymes that cause degradation.

Here's a video of a Fluidised Bed Pea Freezer in action from my former competitor...Hawk-Spit....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAn0Z3dbjtA

Last edited:
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I seem to remember a warning (around the 80s?) that defrosting prawns with hot / boiling water was risky, but that rumour doesn't seem to have stood the test of time, so it was probably bullshine.
It is, sadly, a guaranteed way of removing the flavour and destroying the texture, but no it shouldn't kill you. If I may, I recommend defrosting your prawns naturally at room temp (a bag takes about 2 hours), then draining but NOT rinsing them. The texture and flavour is so, so much better.
Funnily enough the peas were going in a risotto with some prawns. I'd defrosted the prawns as you suggest :okay:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I seem to remember a warning (around the 80s?) that defrosting prawns with hot / boiling water was risky, but that rumour doesn't seem to have stood the test of time, so it was probably bullshine.
It is, sadly, a guaranteed way of removing the flavour and destroying the texture, but no it shouldn't kill you. If I may, I recommend defrosting your prawns naturally at room temp (a bag takes about 2 hours), then draining but NOT rinsing them. The texture and flavour is so, so much better.
I got an evenings and weekend job in a restaurant in the mid-70s making prawn cocktails so the taste and the texture of the rapidly defosted prawns wasn't high on my priorities when I was 16 to my shame... amazing that no-one ever reported being ill with me working there- it was equally amazing they never found out. It wasn't a vocation, just a way to pay for my moped!

WHen I was a kid we used to go out blackberry picking

pick one put it in the bucket - pick 2 - eat them - repeat

at the end of the day the bucket would be filled with water to wash the berries

and after a few minutes the surface of the water was covered with worms, flies and $deity knows what else

didn't kill me - but then I went canoeing in canals - which involves falling in - hence probably swallowing canal water
I'm probably immortal!!!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you have ever been hit across the face by a sharnie tail when milking you are probably immune to everything.

Oh yes many a time.

And you know how it is, when you want your sarnies, you want your sarnies.

All this traipsing back to the farmyard to find a tap, (that isn't frozen) to wash your hands when you're in the middle of a field, spreading a trailer load of muck..

Well, it just doesn't always happen does it ??

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’ve helped run trailers for the pea harvest round here. Very delicate operation. Harvest at night to keep cool, ideally and our target was under 30 minutes to the freezer factory. There is a fair bit of insecticide chucked at commercial peas too. Pretty intensive crop for a not particularly interesting flavour really. Just saying’....You know that feeling when you are going to post and think it might be off topic....

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yes it sounds a bit much but for some people shellfish , peanuts and other things is not a simple lifestyle must have aligue but is deadly. Having treated a few it's not all that pretty. So given that food labelling is still not without faults and is still happily bypassed by companies in food prep. A catch all labelling set up is the most practical work around. :smile:

I'm happy with the blatantly obvious labelling. What does annoy me (I think Sainsburys are particuarly big offenders) is when you buy a bag of fruit and nut mix (e.g.) and the packet says "Warning: May contain nuts" (my itallics).

MAY??? I'll be demanding a refund and an apology if they don't.

Top Bottom