Do not eat raw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I opened a packet of Iceland frozen petit pois the other day. I don't normally read the packet but noticed an instruction "Do not eat raw" on them.

What's that about? Surely you can eat peas straight from the pod - that's pretty raw. Obviously eating a bagful of them while frozen might not be a good idea, but are we going a bit over the top with warnings?

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to drive my mother mad snaffling the frozen peas to scoff....not as much as my brother did with the raw jelly squares :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I opened a packet of Iceland frozen petit pois the other day. I don't normally read the packet but noticed an instruction "Do not eat raw" on them.

What's that about? Surely you can eat peas straight from the pod - that's pretty raw. Obviously eating a bagful of them while frozen might not be a good idea, but are we going a bit over the top with warnings?

It is a bit ott, but they are frozen fresh so they can't 100% guarantee there is not some natural bacterial contamination, which boiling will kill off.

It's unlikely to do you any harm but I guess they're just covering themselves

You assume that produce goes straight from the field into the freezer. There is no guarantee of this.
There are many well-documented cases of frozen vegetables that have been contaminated with listeria, which is not killed by freezing.
So no, it's not an OTT warning.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You were probs building a sturdy biome.

Like me, Im not sure how many lbs of filth I've consumed over my lifetime.

But I suspect I've had a few other peoples 'pecks of dirt' too.

I rarely if ever get an upset stomach. :rolleyes:
Same here. I was a right tomboy so was out playing making gang huts, rope swings, guddling for trout in the local burn (stream). Not sure I even washed my hands before I came in for my lunch. :laugh:

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
You have to eat a worm and all that..........

As far as I can see most boys are lucky to survive childhood

Some years ago I went to a place we took our bikes when I was a kid - long steep dirt track towards a stream - with 2 trees and a lampost just before a narrow bridge over the stream
we used to go through the trees and over the bridge as fast as we could
I clearly remember it being NO PROBLEM getting through the gap

must have had all of and inch clearance - in total!!!!!

If I found my grandkids doing that I would murder them!!!!!

D

Deleted member 26715

Sounds like I was lucky to survive my childhood :ohmy:
You were probs building a sturdy biome.
Like me, Im not sure how many lbs of filth I've consumed over my lifetime.
But I suspect I've had a few other peoples 'pecks of dirt' too.
I rarely if ever get an upset stomach. :rolleyes:
Same here. I was a right tomboy so was out playing making gang huts, rope swings, guddling for trout in the local burn (stream). Not sure I even washed my hands before I came in for my lunch. :laugh:
I used to eat raw pork sausage when I was a child. Probably explains a lot...:whistle:
I was child of the 60's all those were commonplace, I do wonder about cotton wool kids today, showering/bathing them everyday we used to have one a week whether we needed it or not, their immune systems cannot be as developed as ours.

But back to the OP's point, wasn't one of the claims by Birds Eye????? that the freshness was frozen in as it went from farm to packet under X hours, seem to remember an advert, maybe Iceland is X + Y

Top Bottom