Do not eat raw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I used to eat raw pork sausage when I was a child. Probably explains a lot...:whistle:

I used to love raw sausages as well. I must admit it's been a long time sinceI did it though. Not sure I would do it now.

Some warnings are over the top though, two regular purchases that spring to mind are "contains shellfish" and "contains peanuts", on a bag of frozen prawns and a bag of peanuts respectively.
Yeah, that kind of warning label is redundant for 99% of people, but they need to protect the incurious, as well as protecting themselves from frivolous lawsuits.
I know people who insist that there is no prawn in prawn crackers. :wacko:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was child of the 60's all those were commonplace, I do wonder about cotton wool kids today, showering/bathing them everyday we used to have one a week whether we needed it or not, their immune systems cannot be as developed as ours.

But back to the OP's point, wasn't one of the claims by Birds Eye????? that the freshness was frozen in as it went from farm to packet under X hours, seem to remember an advert, maybe Iceland is X + Y

Yes, and those peas are grown in fresh fields containing fresh soil, that migh.. Just might have listeria causing bacteria in them.
I reckon as kids we used to get about 70% "yield" when shelling homegrown peas as well all liked eating them raw from pod.

Yes I still do a bit of that when harvesting myself. But the risk is less when they're fresh.
As soon as they are stored, even frozen stored, the chance if bacteria multiplying increases.
I used to love raw sausages as well. I must admit it's been a long time sinceI did it though. Not sure I would do it now.

I've got a friend who will still do this.

Yuk,

But each to their own eh?

And he seems fine.

It's from fresh killed, free range animals, but I'm not sure that takes all the risk away..

D

Deleted member 26715

I reckon as kids we used to get about 70% "yield" when shelling homegrown peas as well all liked eating them raw from pod.
Local Strawberry PYO has found fresh cream containers in the middle of his field

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I eat defrosted peas- when I say defrosted, I mean pouring boiling water onto them. they are delicious... I defrost lots of stuff like that, including frozen cooked prawns and always have... probably shouldn't but still here.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I eat defrosted peas- when I say defrosted, I mean pouring boiling water onto them. they are delicious... I defrost lots of stuff like that, including frozen cooked prawns and always have... probably shouldn't but still here.

I seem to remember a warning (around the 80s?) that defrosting prawns with hot / boiling water was risky, but that rumour doesn't seem to have stood the test of time, so it was probably bullshine.
It is, sadly, a guaranteed way of removing the flavour and destroying the texture, but no it shouldn't kill you. If I may, I recommend defrosting your prawns naturally at room temp (a bag takes about 2 hours), then draining but NOT rinsing them. The texture and flavour is so, so much better.

tom73

Guru
Some warnings are over the top though, two regular purchases that spring to mind are "contains shellfish" and "contains peanuts", on a bag of frozen prawns and a bag of peanuts respectively.

Yes it sounds a bit much but for some people shellfish , peanuts and other things is not a simple lifestyle must have aligue but is deadly. Having treated a few it's not all that pretty. So given that food labelling is still not without faults and is still happily bypassed by companies in food prep. A catch all labelling set up is the most practical work around. :smile:

Top Bottom