Do people enjoy their expensive bikes more than their cheap ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great debate and has got me thinking...mostly because none of the bikes I own have been bought first hand! The most expensive bike I think (in terms of value now) is an Italian carbon frame (I know probably made elsewhere and labelled Italian!) but it is light as anything and climbs like a dream...However, I have a beat up old Aluminium Pinarello that makes me smile every time I ride it! It looks so bad that I don’t think anyone would steal it if I left it outside the shop unlocked...but the ride is soooo smooth! Thinking though that it probably cost a fair penny in its day...so is it a ‘cheap’ bike after all?

Actually, two of my favourite bikes (many years ago) were free to me, and both gave me hours of pleasurable riding.

One was a Hercules junior bike that was going to be skipped after a jumble sale - we (that is parentals and I) used to help out at the sale, and the sale committee were glad I took it off their hands at the end of the day. There was also what I now know to be a small racing trike, but I didn't take it (didn't fit me) and I'm regretting it. I still have the Hercules though - it was an affordable bike in the day, but it wasn't exactly cheap.

The other was a no-name single speed that came to me when a family friend's nephew outgrew it - I know it wouldn't have been a cheap bike as said lad was always bought the expensive stuff. Steel frame (with a DIY paint job), 28 mm tyres on what I'd guess were probably 650 wheels, flat bars, cantilever brakes and rear rack. Got rid of it during a clear out after male parental bought me a (used) MTB and again, I rather regret that now as it would probably still fit me and I'd still be riding it. Oh well, can't be helped.

I've also had free bikes (similar skip finds / hand-me-downs) that were bloody ghastly. As was the said MTB - rode it a lot as it was my main mode of transport before I learnt to drive. It was a reasonable ride when I was actually on it, but it was the getting on / off and coming to a stop at junctions that was the horrible bit (crossbar too high, easy to smack ones's self where one would rather not be smacked...)

bpsmith

Veteran
Good to see reverse snobbery is still alive and well on here!

I tend to buy more expensive things, of all types of items, but then expect to keep them for a long time. It’s all about build quality, aesthetics and the thought that has gone into each thing.

For example, one of my favourite brands is Silca. They make the nicest looking, high quality, tools for bikes. I will never buy a set of hex keys again and enjoy every single time I use them for the rest of my life.

Do I care what others think? No.

Would I ever dream of showing someone the tools and shout about the price of them? Certainly not, that’s cringeworthy.

In fact, I actually like the fact that not many people know what they cost.

Furthermore, when I see others using a cheaper set of hex keys, do I look down on them?

Not going to answer this one, as those in tune will know, and those who already have an opinion will still have that opinion as they just don’t get it. ;)

bpsmith

Veteran
Back on topic, with respect to enjoying a more expensive bike over a cheaper bike, I don’t think it’s about price. For me, as per my last post, it’s about a number of other things, which when combined tend to make things more expensive as a knock on effect.

If I had an expensive bike, but aesthetically it just didn’t do it for me, and/or the build quality was poor, then I wouldn’t enjoy it as much as a cheaper bike which was cool to look at and built well.

Back on topic, with respect to enjoying a more expensive bike over a cheaper bike, I don’t think it’s about price. For me, as per my last post, it’s about a number of other things, which when combined tend to make things more expensive as a knock on effect.

If I had an expensive bike, but aesthetically it just didn’t do it for me, and/or the build quality was poor, then I wouldn’t enjoy it as much as a cheaper bike which was cool to look at and built well.

You know, tbh, it's about riding the bike that puts a smile on your face - for whatever reason. :smile: If it makes you feel good, then that's the important thing, right? ;)

Good to see reverse snobbery is still alive and well on here!

I tend to buy more expensive things, of all types of items, but then expect to keep them for a long time. It’s all about build quality, aesthetics and the thought that has gone into each thing.

For example, one of my favourite brands is Silca. They make the nicest looking, high quality, tools for bikes. I will never buy a set of hex keys again and enjoy every single time I use them for the rest of my life.

Do I care what others think? No.

Would I ever dream of showing someone the tools and shout about the price of them? Certainly not, that’s cringeworthy.

In fact, I actually like the fact that not many people know what they cost.

Furthermore, when I see others using a cheaper set of hex keys, do I look down on them?

Not going to answer this one, as those in tune will know, and those who already have an opinion will still have that opinion as they just don’t get it. ;)
I think you are safe from social conflict over your choice of hex keys.

Unless you inhabit a very very strange world I would rather not know about.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Expensive is subjective, but I enjoy my eight year old Giant Defy 2 during sunny summer days, it's a pleasant surprise after riding a Ribble CGR through the winter, the Defy is lighter, quicker, and I really enjoy riding it but it's not a better bike, I've done all my longest rides on the Ribble....

Am not really arguing with your post, but for some odd reason your post made me think of Knog. God help us/some folks/not me if they "progress" to bikes.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
In February I bought a £600 bike (a hybrid). Not much I know compared to some, but it's by far the most I've ever spent on a new bike.
I did a lot of research before purchase, it ticked pretty much all the boxes for me, looks great and my test rides and initial gut feeling at the shop were fine.
But I never really warmed to it. And after 300 miles, I've gone back to my 33,000 mile 10 yr old workhorse.
I can't really put a finger on why, the new bike was fine, but there was something about it after a few tens of miles I couldn't be doing with.
So the old £300 or so bike is definitely preferable for me than the £600 interloper.

In February I bought a £600 bike (a hybrid). Not much I know compared to some, but it's by far the most I've ever spent on a new bike.
I did a lot of research before purchase, it ticked pretty much all the boxes for me, looks great and my test rides and initial gut feeling at the shop were fine.
But I never really warmed to it. And after 300 miles, I've gone back to my 33,000 mile 10 yr old workhorse.
I can't really put a finger on why, the new bike was fine, but there was something about it after a few tens of miles I couldn't be doing with.
So the old £300 or so bike is definitely preferable for me than the £600 interloper.
list RRPs of bikes have maybe gone up a fair bit in those 10 years which may seem to count against your first love. Were those list prices? You can get a lot of bike for £600 or not a lot more if you shop around and ignore certain siren calls. It also depends on where the money went. The frame? Or supposedly superior/higher spec bits/consumables where maybe in reality the bits weren't perhaps that much better at all. Or ANY better at all.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Over the last eight years, I've bought three bikes, each at about £600-£700. I like the cheapest one best. Yes, I'd love one that costs £900 more, but it isn't going to make me a better cyclist. I've no idea if I would enjoy riding it any more than the others.

bpsmith

Veteran
I think you are safe from social conflict over your choice of hex keys.
Translate it into bikes or clothing and, for some strange reason, there are the usual suspects who think owners of those items look down on others. Reality couldn’t be further from said opinions. That’s the point.

Do love those hex keys though, did I say that already? :smile:

Top Bottom